I've checked the gear list for Sea Base. It's pretty straightforward, but still wondering a few things. What's the best thing to bring to sleep on/with. Is a dry bag a good idea and if so about how big? Can you bring a digital camera if you have something to store it in or would you recommend against it? You can bring a small suitcase that you leave at Sea Base while you are gone, right? For those who have been, anything else you wish you would have thought to bring with you?

My son just returned from seabase. They did tall ship out of the Bahamas. He brought a cheap blue foam pad and fleece sleeping bag. They slept on deck every night. Everything he brought including snorkeling gear fit into a medium sized duffle bag.

After returning, he said he wouldn't have brought the snorkel gear, the stuff they had was just fine. The one thing that saved him from the sun and jellyfish was a long sleeve (rashguard UV diving) shirt he wore the entire time. The boys who didn't, got attacked by both.

I doubt a dry bag would be of much value.

We will be doing the Sea Exploring adventure. As a sailor on the Great Lakes and a frequent Keys vistor, the only advice is to keep sun exposure to a minium. Sun screen, polarized sun glasses, hat and light colored loose clothing at Seabase are to akin to a good backpack and hiking boots at Philmont. A long sleeve T-shirt is an excellent suggestion.

While not required consider getting a pair of boat shoes. Tennis shoes will tend to slide you around on a wet deck.

It can be windy while underway, having a strap for your glasses and hat will save them from becoming part of the ecosystem.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm actually going to Sea Base in August. Our troop is doing a sailing trip to the Keys and some other spots.

I agree boat shoes are a must hardy. I have some excellent ones that are like sandals but they have a hard toe on the end. So the water won't stay in your shoe AND you won't stub your toe on the big footed scoutmaster :)

Some skippers will not allow shoes on the boat that you wear on land. They don't want you grinding sand into the deck.

You will need two pair, one for beach combing and one pair to leave on the boat if you even wear them onboard.

Real boat shoes are nice for wet decks though. they have non-marking siped soles which grip even a soggy, heaving deck. I personally like wearing shoes onboard, keeps me from catching my toes on something. Most folk just go barefoot while on the boat.

Actually, my son is now back from Sea Base. He packed lighter than many of his fellow scouts and still came home with clothes that I'm pretty sure were never worn. He brought his extra change of clothes in his carry on bag, so that everything he needed for the boat was in his checked baggage and all he had to do was transfer his sailing gear to the mesh bag that Seabase provides. He brought a dry bag, but didn't end up using it.

Waterproof disposable cameras were very handy. He said the restaurants in Key West are expensive, so bring adequate cash. He took boat shoes, but I don't think he wore them on board. Make sure you have straps for everything you wear -- sunglasses, hat, etc. Brought several carabiners of various sizes, as well. He had a great time and though very fair skinned, did not get sunburned thanks to the rash guard shirt (suggested above) and copious sunscreen. The stick kind or the clear zinc oxide (check Wal-Mart or Walgreens) are great for the face.