I have a group of 8 boys going up to camp, on Sunday, and have a question. Having seen some quick shakedowns in previous years, I am curious what we might have the SPL do to perform the shakedown, based upon how your units have done it in the past. We have one boy who is new to the troop, but has not been presented his neckerchief, which we will do at the same time.

kajits, need more info...

summer camp, Philmont, backpacking? Exactly what kind of camp are you going to?

We don't usually shakedown for summer camp.

Backpacking may be a breakdown and repack of everyones pack "by the numbers" so that everyone has the essentials.

Philmont amplifies the Backpacking breakdown.

It is just summer camp, so there won't be full backpacks to tear down, but I was more thinking of a means that might be a ceremony for this. For most of the boys, this will be their first Scout camp, even though all of them went to Brownsea for a week, last week.

Okay,

since we pretty much allow anything at summer camp that isn't prohibited by the camp or GSS, they can bring anything that fits in their footlocker and one bag, preferably a Backpack.

Of course it's all at their own risk. We aren't going to replace their Ipod or Laptop or cell phone if they choose to bring them.

Of course we prefer that they not bring the electronics at all, but we don't prohibit it.

I don't know of an appropriate ceremony for this other than making a list of required items and having them "bag" each of them by the numbers,and then loading in their personal choice items, but for most Scouts I don't think that would come off as a positive event.

Gunny

I agree with you on two out of three of your electronics that you would prefer not be brought. I only have cub scouts, but I ask the parents to please think about this when we go camping.

"We are going camping to spend time with our children and away from the busy world. I ask that parents recommend that the boys leave the Electronic games, PSP game boy advance, and stuff like that at home. Lets get back to basics. I also understand that in the world today that parents will carry cellphones no matter what I ask. That is fine as long as they can find it only as a needed thing, and not talk on it all day. I did tell them that if they wanted to bring an MP3 player that was fine. Come on, we took walkmen and radios when I was in. Something for a little music was ok as long as it was not the only thing that you did."

I am not going to be the electronics police, but they were pretty good this past time camping. I think that the only time the boys got on the phone was to call home real quick and say good night. They were all tiger Cubs and this was their forst campout. So if they wanted to call home for a quick 5 minutes that was great. A lot of the boys enjoyed the other things that we had there to do, especially playing cards. You know how many decks were out at one time so they could all paly war. I had a small shortwave radio playing music and that was all. The parents really only used the phone when the Tigers wanted to call home real quick. It was a great campout. I hope they all go this way

We allow electronics on the trip to camp, but they must then stay in the cars during camp. Access is not allowed during camp, besides, there's too much to do without electronics.

G

Pretty much the same as Gonzo1. If a boy needs to call mom, he must ask a leader to use the leader's phone (which doesn't really get much of a signal anyway) or one of the camp counselors at the office. Tends to cut down on mom calls.

I know my feelings about cell phones are unpopular, but I just don't understand the need for a 13-year-old (or younger!) to carry a cell phone. But, back to the thread...

We do not impose an outright ban on electronics, rather we try to convey why they are not necessary.

When we have our parents meeting before summer camp to go over all the last minute details, I always mention to them that their sons should really leave the cell phones at home. For one reason, there are only a couple of places in the parking lot of camp where a phone will get a signal, and a weak one at that, and the boys aren't supposed to be hanging out in the parking lot anyway (camp rules). Another reason is it is too easy a lifeline for those boys that may be feeling a bit of homesickness. You know, boy is tired, hot, feeling a bit homesick - quick call home to Mom and/or Dad, Mom/Dad says how much (s)he misses the boy. Or, boy mentions something negative that happened to him and Mom/Dad suddenly want to rush to his aid and bring him home.

Regarding other electronics. No problem with MP3s at night when the guys are settling down for sleep - actually helps keep them relax and get quiet. For daytime though, I do emphasize the reason we are going to camp. The boys get to experience a week in nature, taking time to enjoy hanging out with each other and other Scouts. Watch a bird, stalk a frog, splash in the creek, play frisbee in the meadow, play a game of cards, chess, checkers in the campsite - all kinds of things to do WITH someone else.

Plugging their ears with an IPod or isolating themselves with a video game takes away from the camp experience.

Most parents nod in agreement at the "wise" old Scoutmaster.

I don' t have any problem with any of the viewpoints expressed above and personally agree with most of them whether it's what our Troop does or not, BUT we have wandered far away from kahits original question. Anyone have any ideas for a shakedown ceremony?

Thanks, Gunny.... We decided to keep it simple, since this is just Scout camp, and have the SPL go thru a list of critical items to bring, and items not to bring, and call it good. We have some new members who were never presented their neckerchiefs, so will do that, as well. Fortunately, our camp has no cell phone coverage, but the issue of hand held electronic games and players will be covered. The council strongly discourages them being taken to camp, and we support that. Irregardless, they are in for a great time at camp.(This message has been edited by kahits)