Sorry that my comment caused so much consternation. WHat I meant was, when severe weather threatens during camp (usually severe T-storms), our only response is to pull everyone out of the pool and off the waterfront, and if it doesn't pass in 30 minutes or so, send them back to their campsites...tents in the woods. We do not have ANY structure that would be considered "shelter" from heavy weather other than a heavy rain. But the fact is, these thunderstorms happen usually twice a week on average during July-August. We did send everyone home a day early one year when a hurricane was approaching.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Back June 11, 2008 - we lost scouts Josh, Sam, Ben, and Aaron. 48 others were injured as an EF-3 tornado hit the Little Sioux Boy Scout Camp Remembrance story with photos. https://www.kpvi.c

May 10,2021: Thirteen years after he was injured by a tornado that killed four scouts at the Little Sioux Scout Ranch in western Iowa, Kevin Hanna graduated from the  University of Nebraska Medic

Update Feb 1, 2023. Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation raised funds to purchase camp. Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation (INHF) is the buyer. $7M plus People throughout Iowa and Nebraska contrib

My son is also working our camp. He is scheduled to be there all summer.That is enough to really worry a mother. My heart goes out to all those parents who now have to deal with sorrow. I am proud of the scouts who did as we all hope all scout would do in helping each other. These are truly the best of their generation. They have learned to care for their fellows.

As to hearding everyone into a large, open area structure - well I better not say.  It seems to come from schools who heard kids into gyms. One of the dumbest things I can think of. You have a large expance of unsupport roof over everyone.  It may be easier to track kids but highly dangerous.  Small groups in smaller areas would be safer. I always taught my son to go to a reinforced area. Small roof area, extra walls, pipes in the walls. 

I hope some camps will look more closely at were to direct kids to go in bad weather and to not try to bunch them up in an unsafe area.

Hint to those that go to ditches - teach to watch out for flooding risks. Flooding kills many more than tornados.

Be safe

firekat

My son happens to be at NYLT ("Cedar Badge") with fgoodwin's son this week... so this brought up a lot for me.

And as I was watching the news last night my heart sunk. I lost a daughter, unexpectedly, almost 4 years ago. She was a Senior Girl Scout, 15 years old. Those thoughts on top of the connection I felt to the parents of those 4 boys because I just dropped my own son off to NYLT - WOW - it hit me hard.

My heart, prayers and sympathy go out to those parents of the 4 boys in Iowa, and their Troops. How devastating this must be and emotional, for all of them.

eagle90, I don't know about policy, but one of our council pro's was just onTV discussing the "safe" building at camp. YEAH, RIGHT. I'll be hunkering somewhere in a draw, thanks.

firekat,

Good call! Water does go to low ground. A ditch, draw or ravine is one thing a culvert or other enclosed structure where you can't get out as water rises or lay close to the edge is another.

This was a terrible disaster and a moment of silence was held at the court of honor I attended this evening.

However, it could have been a LOT worse. Imagine the headlines if this tornado had ripped through three or four hours later when most/all those scouts had been asleep in their tents.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all the victims and their families.

The policy for our camps is to get to a hard canopy shelter, which means a pavilion in most sites. If you can get to one of the concrete block bath houses, that is the preferred option. Primary concerns are lightning and falling trees and branches. The safest place to be in a tornado is a basement or root cellar - not too many of those at Boy Scout reservations.

My prayers go out to all those who have suffered and their families.

CNN had a fine follow-up article today on the 4 Scouts who died in the tornado. It sounds to me as if all of them were very dedicated to Scouting and would have completed the trail to Eagle.

I have a modest proposal - award all four of these lads the Eagle rank posthumously.

Calico

Camp Augustine near Grand Island, Nebraska has tornado shelters. They were built back in the 80's in the aftermath of tornado destruction. The nearby Girl Scout Camp Cosmopolitan does as well. Both camps have shelters built into hillsides.

I'm sure that there will be a time for asking all the could have? Should have? Might have? Questions.

From all I have seen and heard on the news, it seems that the Scouts acted and reacted exceedingly well.

The loss of four teenagers is so very sad.

My heart goes out to their families, friends and fellow Scouts.

I just can't imagine the pain and loss that they are going through.

For now all I can do is offer a few prayers and kind thoughts.

I do hope we don't allow any sort of second guessing cloud the fact that we have lost four Scouts and a number of other Scouts have been hurt.

Eamonn

Calico,

I don't have the Advancment manual with me but I'm pretty sure there are certain procedures for getting awarded a rank postumously but this would not necesarily apply. If my memory serves me the scout must have already completed all the requirements for the rank besides the BOR.

I think "Spirit of the Eagle" may well be an appropriate award for the youth taken from us in this sadness.

ACP&P #33088 has details. I would hope the District and Council Advancement Committee concerned are pro-actively thinking.

at Omaha.com there is a condolense link.

This was a terrible thing. I hope some good will come out of this awful tragedy. The only time we were evacuated to the camp storm shelter it was quite scary as it was a large dining hall on a hill with over 300 inside. Luckily nothing tragic happened that time. It is time to rethink where to evacuate scout and scouters at camps. Alot of the dining halls have large beautiful stone fireplaces is this where you would want to be?

I'm sure there may be some rule about awarding ranks posthumously - and there are times when such rules should not only be bent, but shattered. I'm of the opinion that this is one of those times - but that's just my opinion.