Does your troop reimburse for gas costs on campouts?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gunny,

I respect that... and we fundraise too but still couldn't afford to reimburse folks for gas. If we did, as I said - we'd have to cancel the outdoor program as we know it and camp only on people's farm land for free. We're a humble troop... and we don't make much money on fundraisers. We're a rural Texas commnunity. Popcorn sales suck, and we do a few bake sales every year for the boys to earn money for summer camp. We bust tail at community service... and our CO has never monetarily supported us. 1/3 of our boys get camp scholarships just so they can go to summer camp. We just can't afford to reimburse for the gas, plain and simple. And as of yet, none of our adult leaders have complained about it.

I guess we're just giving out of the kindness of our hearts.

Rural Texas? Heck, don't y'all just take a bucket an scoop up some Texas Tea out of the ditch when ya need some?

Yeah, the crunch is hurting everywhere. Just pushed over $4 here in the rockies. Used to have lots of parents willing to drive the scouts to camp, now we are pleading for drivers. Even offering to top off the tank. Still got the same number of scouts, just not so many seat belts. I'm not even going to camp this summer, but am dusting off the old Dodge Hemi to help get em there. Then head back out in a week to pick em back up. But she'll seat 6 and pull the troop trailer, so I should have a first born or two I can put to work in the salt mines for the summer.

• 4 weeks later...

We have recently started asking for $5/Scout for our longer weekend camping trips. This money is collected by the Treasurer and then distributed to drivers based on the # of axles. Anyone hauling a trailer (3 axles) gets double what a 2 axle driver gets. As a suburban driver who hauls 6 to 7 Scouts and a substantial trailer, this funds about 1/4 to 1/2 of my fuel costs.