Does your troop reimburse for gas costs on campouts?

Just wondering what other troops policies are regarding reimbursement for gas costs for drivers on campouts. This topic has come up recently in our troop which historically has offered no reimbursement for gas.

Do you reimburse? Do you require reciepts or just estimate the cost based on round trip miles and drivers estimate of their gas mileage? Do you just encourage folks to deduct mileage on their tax return?

Looking for some ideas. If you have a policy I'd love to hear it.(This message has been edited by knot head)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knot Head,

We reimburse our drivers on all campouts and high-adventure trips as a legitimate cost of the trip. We ask that they submit a receipt, and we reimburse them for the amount on the receipt.

Now, if the drivers want to donate the cost of the gasoline to the Troop, we obviously do not object, and in this case they can deduct it on their income taxes if they wish.

Our Troop Policy on long trips, we figure in gas cost as part of the trip and each leader driving is given that amount at the start of the trip. On smaller outings we have never reimbursed for gas, most of us keep a log and deduct the mileage from our taxes.

Hope this helps

YIS

Doug

We keep most of trips fairly close ( because we already are in the Sierra Nevada foothills ) so we charge each scout only about $5 for gas. They give that to the driver of the car they are riding in before we leave the parking lot.

We have started to do this on trips of more than 50 miles. This means that we tell the boys that in addition to bringing money for their food (usually goes to the patrol grubmaster who buys patrol food), we tell them to bring 5 bucks extra. This has not paid the whole cost, but it helps the drivers.

Our committee is struggling with this issue. We don't want to put a large burden on the boys, but the cost of travel has exploded. I think they are going to have to do some kind of special fundraising for this.

We do not reimburse drivers for our weekend campouts, nor do we charge them a fee. We do reimburse drivers for trips to Summer Camp (350 miles one way) and High Adventure trips. We ask drivers to save their receipts and reimburse from those.

We're in pretty much the same place as allangr. While we haven't charged for gas on routine camp outs in the past, we are finding that more of our volunteers are raising the issue. We do typically reimburse for summer camp if receipts are turned in. And again, although in the past some adults have been happy to swallow the costs, as gas prices go up, more are being conscientious about turning in receipts for reimbursement.

This year, when we drew up our budget for summer camp, we included a $20 fuel charge (estimating $4/gallon gas, back when cost was around $2.70/gallon). If fuel prices go any higher we are actually going to have to slap another $5 per passenger (not drivers) onto this year's summer camp cost. I hate doing that last-minute but at $4.25/gallon, we're about $200 short of what we estimate the total gas cost for the group will be. In good conscience I don't feel right asking adults who are already paying to go to summer camp and giving up a week of their time, to also eat the rising cost of transport for other people's kids.

Thanks for the replies. This will be a topic at the next committee meeting. Folks who have just swallowed the cost of gas in the past are now looking at pretty big numbers for summer camp and long mileage high adventure stuff. It's not really fair to stick that cost on the ones who are willing to voluteer.

Seems like it would be fair to estimate the gas cost based on the number of vehicles we will be taking and their MPG and then add a charge to the scout camping fee. Then just have folks leave with and empty tank and turn in receipts.

What used to be not too much money for gas has turned into pretty big numbers for summer camp. This next year I expect the campouts will be very close to home with the traditional 2 long adventure trips plus summer camp.

Whatever you do try to avoid making it complicated. Our troop pays 10 cents per mile. The lead driver notes how many miles to and from the event and reports to the treasurer. Drivers simply write a note to the treasurer after the event requesting mileage reimbursement. It doesn't matter how full your tank was before or after, what brand gas you buy, whether you filled up at the cheap station or the brand name station, how many boys in your car, your MPG, or any estimates. No collecting fees as boys get in the car, no making change, no remembering who forgot their money.

Gas for vehicles is simply one of the many expenses of running a campout, no different than the campground fee, propane for stoves, patrol food, or a replacement tent pole. All the stuff involved in running the program gets paid for by the boys, through their weekly dues, money-earning events, and campout fees.

I am new to Boy Scouts and to driving youth to the campouts. We are actually planning to discuss this topic in our next comittee meeting. Can you tell me more about the tax deduction? I have not heard of this.

Hey Knot Head,

We lucked out this summer. After several expensive high-adventure trips to distant venues over the past several years, this summer our Venture Patrol decided to do a 400-500 mile cycling trip. Great exercise, easier on the environment, and minimal gasoline expenses this time :) . Might have to consider more of these until gas prices decline or alternative energy sources emerge.

dcopel01,

I'm sure my fellow scouters will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that if you itemize your exemptions on your Federal income taxes, you may deduct mileage expenses associated with BSA volunteering, e.g., trips to campouts, meetings, training, etc. under charitable contributions.

I am not a wealthy man, but I could not imagine asking for a gas reimbursement. If it was offered I would turn it down. Yes I have a 10 mile a gallon truck for camping and the wifes minivan for day events. I drive a lot.

What happened to doing for the love of it????

I have never asked to be rembursed for fuel but with prices now over 4 bucks its geting kinda hard. a boy pays $30 to go on a campout. then I spend $85 geting him to and from camp, plus I normaly pull the trailer. I wont stop camping but its geting pricey