In 2010 when the Jambo rolls around my son will be a second year Webelos. I am the Cubmaster for my sons Troop a campmaster with the local council an OA member and an Eagle Scout. My wife is our Pack CC. So I guess you could say we are a Scouting family. I know that the GSS says Webelos mya visit Jambo.. My question is has anyone ever done this and what advice could you give me if any. We are thinking of taking a family vacation to VA in 2010 and spending a couple of DAYS at the Jamboree. I never went as a youth and am very excited about the idea of going. I know I can go with the local council but id rather take the family. If it makes a difference my daughter will also be with us.

Go for it.

Just be aware that there is a LOT of ground to cover, so don't even try to see everything. At Jambo 2005, there was a visitor info booth at the main entrance from the parking lot -- do yourself a favor, stop there, and ask the volunteers what they recommend for a Webelos Scout who will be there for only a couple of days.

Some events are on certain days, so you may get lucky on the days you are there. But be aware that the more popular shows and almost all activities are limited to paid Boy Scout attendees.

Visitors are sometimes allowed in to certain shows on a "stand-by" basis, but when I visited in 2001, I never made it into a show and after wasting a couple of hours only to be disappointed, I decide my time would be better spent checking out exhibits I could actually see (some exhibits are open to everyone and you don't have to show an attendee badge), like the Relationships Tent (for example).

At the '05 Jambo, there was Cub Scout exhibit set up near the Relationships Tent which (if they do it again) would be of interest to a Webelos.

If you're from outside the DC-No. Virginia area, plan to take some time to take in some of the sights like the Smithsonian and the Newseum -- you never know when you'll make it back.

Good luck.

I went in 89 and spent a day there. The things I remember are the distances from the parking lot to where things were, the long lines to try and get food and the fact that not everything is open to visitors. If you have a council contingent that you want to visit be prepared for a long hike to get to their camping area.

We took some Wolf Cubs in '05, along with some younger siblings. They had a lot of fun, even though there were a lot of things they couldn't do. We only did one day though. Seeing everything would have taken at least 3 days. My former wolf will be 12 the Summer of 2010, just in time to meet attendance requirements, as long as he has his 1st Class and his Dad has been offered a staff position. They are both walking on clouds.