fgoodwin: I understand the intent and goals of the training but if you read your own quotes, none say the person in charge of planning the event must be the one who took the training.

AnneinMpls said the person leading the cub overnighter must have BALOO training.

Certainly the best way to do it but not a requirement.

I felt it was being implied to SctDad there's a rule that says he can not be do the planning if he hadn't taken the training.

From the Guide to Safe Scouting... the below is highlighted and thus BSA policy:

At least one adult on a pack overnighter must have completed Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation (BALOO, No. 34162) to properly understand the importance of program intent, youth protection guidelines, health and safety, site selection, age-appropriate activities, and sufficient adult participation. Permits for campouts shall be issued locally. Packs use Local Tour Permit Application, No. 34426

So to my simple mind the BALOO trained leader has responsibility for:

- YP oversight of the activity.

- Health and safety oversight of the activity.

- Site selection for the activity.

- Program decisions of the activity.

- Obtaining sufficient adults to have the activity be safe and successful.

I would hope only a very experienced outdoor leader delegates these to an apprentice.

The cynic's school of training says "check the block" and drive on.

The idealists school of training says "training and practice, over time, support quality program management."

While Anne may be technically wrong on her "must," after a few thousand mornings in the Armed Forces and Scouting I find it difficult to buy into that the BALOO leader would not naturally be the Pack adult accepting prime responsibility for the event.

My thoughts.

I see the point with the "what happens if the boy falls in" I will remidy that with a life ring and/or pole. I will try talking to the ranger at the camp.

I myself can say that I have woke up several nhundred times in a sleeping bag with a rifle at my side in the armed forces. and I have had scouting and camping experience before.

I thank all for the advise. If you have any more pitfalls that I may need to be aware of please feel free to let me know.

I'd like to revisit SctDad's original request:

"Does anyone out there have suggestions for how to break down campsite duties. We are going on an overnight trip and I was wondering what would be the best way to get everyone involved with campsite responsibilities."

In all fairness, he didn't ask for a risk management assestment or a discertation on Guide to Safe Scouting.

Since it's a Cub activity it seems the answer to your question is to divide it up amongst the Dens/families. Arranging it ahead of time, like at a Pack meeting or a pack committee meeting, would help make the process go smoother. Troops use a duty roster within the patrols when they camp, and there's no reason that the idea cannot be adopted to a Cub family campout.

As for the "other stuff", it's paramount to ensure that the BSA rules are being followed. You are not personally responsible for every part of the plan or campout. A good leader makes sure that they have the resources available to meet the BSA rules and trusts the other people to do their part, whether it's to hold the appropriate training card/certificate, plan the outing to BSA guidelines, etc.

Thank you Tokala

I managed to find this information by going through all of the other posts, but you put it all together in one.

Thank you all for the information and help. I did learn some things about what i Need to watch out for.