Anyone know where replacement zippers for eureka tents can be purchased? We have a couple of older timberline 4's that are still in pretty decent shape except for the zippers.

Thanks

http://www.rainypass.com/

These folks are supposed to repair tents. Before spending big bucks getting zippers replaced have the adult gear person examine the tents. The scouts will often say a zipper does not work when all it needs is a minor repair we had a couple that the pull would come off when the tent was unzipped all the way we repaired by placing a safety pin stop about an inch up the zipper. If it requires more than in house then check with a local boat canvas place the ones who make tops and sail covers. Found this online but it may be useful for in house repairs as it comes with instructions:

http://www.campingsurvival.com/zrkziourekit.html

We have a local shoe repair/leathergoods dealer who does repairs and replaces zippers on our Eureka tents. Check with stores who do boat covers and awnings. They will often times do tent repairs also.

In addition to what others have suggested, some of your major outdoor retailers (LL Bean, REI, etc.) offer repair services like this. We dropped off a four man timberline tent at Beans (it's only 40 miles from here) with a 6 inch gash in the fabric. They mended it for us and for a reasonable fee with shipping. We didn't have to go back to get it.

Is the problem just that the teeth aren't closing when you run the slider across the zipper? As the zipper is used and ages, the slider spreads out. Take a pair of pliers and gently squeeze both sides of the channel on the slider (assuming the slider is metal and not plastic). This should correct this common problem.

Follow on to MarkS suggestion:

You can call Eureka and they will send replacement sliders. Remove the stitching at the end of the zipper, replace the slider, and re-sew the end. It wont help if the zipper teeth are damaged, but if the teeth are in good shape, your zipper will work again.

Thanks for the info on the sliders. The teeth look in good shape so this may do the trick. Eureka did get back and they do not sell zippers but will replace sliders. They will repair though. I was just looking for the zipper because a parent thought they may be able to do the sewing. But not sure if they can do now. There is a place that does tent repairs in the area but had something done of mine a few years ago and were a little pricy.

Thanks again

I think I'm going to patent my tent door design that uses buttons. It involves a slit that has the top of the door tucked in and the bottom of the door tucked out. ;-)

Better yet, teach the boys that there are no half-way zippers. Either it is all the way zipped open or all the way zipped shut. Anywhere else, one is begging for zipper repairs. With that rule, I have seen tents last 12 years and still going strong. The only tents that have had zipper problems are on the tents where the boy does not fully open/close the zippers while trying to crawl in. The plastic zippers are not expected to last that kind of stress. No one would expect a zipper to last if every time they opened it they did so by grabbing the material and pulling the zipper apart. Well, crawling into a half opened tent door is doing just that.

Stosh

• 9 months later...