So Im now evolved with an outdoor club (an officer actuallyscary huh?) Were in the process of coming up with ideas for next year this includes (but isnt limited to) actual events, fun raisers, advertisements etc

So, any thoughts on things we can do? In the past years theyve gone rock climbing, mountain biking, skiing, white water rafting, backpacking, camping, biking, spelunking, water skiing and tubing.

Also, Ive started realizing that most people dont participate in events because things are either to easy (as in they could do it any time) or to hard so anything that is moderate but fun would be cool too (like bike riding, horseback riding or caving).

Also, were planning to put some money down on a pretty good first aid kit (one of the huge ones) were probably going to buy it from NOLS or something but if you have any suggestions on what kind to buy that would be helpful too (I do know that all the officers are certified WFRsthat is everyone but meso they do have lots of crazy training with things) Also, because of the training theyre seeing about getting epipensthough I dont think even wfrs are allowed to have those in their possessionwho knows.

Anyways, any tips would be very welcome.

OH! And before I forget, anyone know where you can get good but cheap climbing gear? The club doesnt own much (understatement we own one rope) and I know one objective will be trying to work that into the budget.

Thanks!!

Remember that although you may want inexpensive - not cheap - climbing gear, EVERY time you are on a rope more than 15-20 feet above ground you really have "Life Support" equipment not just cheap climbing gear.

Buy accordingly. :)

Hi again :)

k, so sounds like you guys are trying to put together a schedule of events/activities.

I would first look back to see which events were the best-attended, and put those on the schedule at appropriate times of year - eventually you'll build a repetoire of activities that the club becomes known for, that meet the ideal challenge level of the typical participant you're attracting to your club, and that become loved traditions and areas you develop expertise in putting on.

Next, I'd put in a couple no-brainer events where you're piggy-backing on *others'* efforts - so check out other local groups that offer outdoor activity at the beginning level - maybe there's a canoeing club, or a hiking club or a local volksmarch society - you'll be glad you've done this because these events will keep program going while giving you guys an administrative "break".

Next, ask the experienced folks what areas they're seeking greater challenge in, and put one or two of these on the schedule for the year.

You'll see if you do 2 of each of these areas, you're up to 6 events for the year already, and 2 will be your "standards", 2 will be geared for "beginners" and easy for you folks to run, and 2 will be "challenging".

You might want to hold off on adding any more events so you have room for doing sometihng impromtu - somebody always hears of something that's happening this coming weekend!

From there, elect one person to head up each event - they'll do the footwork/phonecalling/etc to pull it off.

Then evaluate the club's equipment and training needs based on what's on the plan.

(Also evaluate whether folks want daytime, overnight, or long trip events and plan accordingly. Typically beginners have lower committment so I'd make those daytime events, your standards overnighters, and incorporate the challenge level into trips - more time to focus on developing skill.)

Hope this helps!

Anne in Mpls

For climbing gear, google Moosejaw. They charge a little less for their gear then REI.

For bombproof anchors for repells consider using a DOT Grade 70 Transport Chain (3/8" min). With a WLL (working load limit) of 6,000 lbs it'll take more abuse then webbing, or even a 13mm Bluewater static...

For first aid kits I say build your own. Do a study (NOLS would be a start) on common and frequent injuries in the backcountry, then go from there as to your needs.

Also, check out the book Ditch Medicine for some radical ideals to deal with problems should you ever get into one of those rare "to do or die" situations.

A thought about first aid......having WFR's or even W-EMT's is always a big plus in the backcountry. However, I'm in agreement with NOLS which is that more focus should be on risk management. As such I would highly recommend the NOLS Wilderness Educator course. Pricy, but worth the training in risk management.....

For those considering upgrading to WFR's, or W-EMT's, SOLO is outstanding....

Yah, climbin' gear.

I've found da outlet resellers like www.sierratradingpost.com sometimes has good discounts on new climbing gear. Keep an eye out in places like REI Outpost, MountainGear sale pages, that sort of thing.

I'm with le Voyageur on da First Aid kit. Start with a list from Wilderness Medical Society or some other source, then customize a few kits for your area and each activity. For water stuff, yeh want a decent kit in a dry box, with stuff for that environment. For backpackin', yeh want a good group-sized but lightweight kit. And on and on. In the long run, the group will save by bulk orderin' supplies from a medical supplier (yeh can never have too much gauze...).

B

Most of your post was about planning the activities for next year. So I will address that.

Are you a cub scout pack or a boy scout troop?

If you are a pack, the adults plan the activities. Go camp at a state park, do a 2 to 3 mile hike, then let the boys play around at camp.

If you are a troop, then you as an adult should not be putting the program together, the boys should. Your goal should be to become a "boy led" troop, where the boys make the decisions that affect their program.

I am in the midst of a conversion from having "boy leaders" to having a "boy led troop". What do I mean? In the past the adults did the planning, and let the patrols elect patrol leaders. The troop elected the SPL, and he served as SPL. BUT, the adults picked the camping places and activities, and the meeting agenda's, and troop rules and policies. What did that leave the boys to decide upon? Mostly the patrol menu's for campouts. Most boys did little for a position of responsibility, since there was little to do.

I am determined to change that. I have a list of things I am turning over to the boys. The first is the yearly planning. Last August I held a planning meeting, the first of its kind, where I put up a poster with 12 entries, and we had to fill in for the 12 entries a location and an activitiy. I put up a blackboard and wrote on it 20 locations, many that we had visited before. I put up a second blackboard with activities. I then asked the boys to pick a location and an activity for month 1 (September, in this case), then a location and activity for month 2, and so on. I invited them to add locations and activities if they did not see one they wanted to pick. By the end of the meeting the boys had picked a location and an activity for each month of the year. Summer camp and the annual ski trip went up fast. I reserved one month to do the council camporee. They had to hash out the rest.

Later on, a scout came up to me and said that I had screwed up by not taking us to an event that the troop had done for a few years before I became SM. I was able to say, "But you got to pick the campouts we are doing. We will have to put it on the board to decide for next year." I think light dawned. Next year the SPL will be the master of ceremonies for the annual planning meeting.

I have not done as well at getting the PLC to do stuff. For years the SM ran the PLC meetings, and so when we have meetings, all eyes are on me. I through some issue on the table, hoping for discussion, but little follows. The boys are not used to that yet. I can only keep plugging. My goal is to approach the SPL and ask, "what is the plan?" and he will tell me all that he is doing. That takes time.

Last year one of our scouters was getting impatient at the boys trying to load the trailer to go to summer camp. He was approaching with the look on his face that he would set things straight. I told him what I would tell you. "Let the boys do it."

For both thefirst aid kit and where to get good gear contact your local fire dept or who ever does emergency rescue in your area. They know the hazards you will be facing so can help you put together the kits.