Webelos last few months

As a Webelos leader, I have 1 boy getting his Arrow of Light and crossing over, 2 that might cross over soon because they are 11, and 4 that are not ready to cross over until end of May.

What should I be doing with these guys who aren't crossing over until May? Do we just keep trudging along in the Webelos book only? Or do we do some stuff more like the Boy Scouts -- compass reading, knot tying, etc. ? I want to keep them interested and busy. I know of at least one district wide Webelos Camporee we can attend, and feel sure the troops in the area would let them do some troop camping. But what about den meetings?

Also, do I encourage them go get signed up for Summer Camp this year or to wait until next year?

By all means get them involved in some Boy Scout type activities ( Knots, Compass,Cooking or first aid) use the Boy Scout hand book as guidance. It will do 2 things 1. Keep the interested and 2. give them a head start for May x-over. Talk to the parents about summer camp it may be to much at once with x-ing over and a month later going away.

I'm actually dealing with this same issue right now. We have a group of Webelos that won't be ready to cross over until May. I'm trying to get them to start participating in troop activities a couple of months before, so we can get them hooked into our troop before summer (and baseball season) swallows them up. I've heard of troops where the kids basically pull double duty for a couple of months. They go to all the troop meetings (which become their den meetings) and campouts, but still attend the pack meetings once a month and any pack activities they have those last couple of months.

I hestitate to have them attend all the troop functions as Boy Scouts because some of the boys in our pack have worked hard to earn their Arrow of Light and cross over early. I feel that going to the troop before being 11 is a bit of a "reward" for their hardwork.

I also have at least one scout who is just not mature enough yet for Boy Scouts. This is his first year in Cub Scouting and he academically and socially behind the other 5th graders. His mom and I both think he will benefit from the attention he gets in Cub Scouting for a few more months.

If the newer Webelo will still cross over to a troop and become active with the later crossover date, you are probably right. However, the later in the year I see kids cross over, the more chance is they will drop out before the next fall. Also, if this kids buddies are crossing over, it may be awkward for him to join at a later date and "be behind" his peers. Please keep us posted on this, as I'd like the information for future reference in case I have parents that want to discuss it.

In the units I work with, I recommend the crossover is done is Feb or March, to allow 1) the new Scouts are able to participate in the Spring fundraiser of the troop and 2)the new Scouts get 4-6 months of being a Boy Scout before going to camp.

I also recommend that the den crosses over as agroup to form a new patrol in the troop. This will help the boys gain the safety of staying with a group they know, while learning about how to be a Boy Scout. Talk to your Scoutmaster about a Troop Guide to help this new patrol.

What to do in your situtation is to keep the boys active in Boy Scout level activities. We are losing boys at the cross over time, due to they are bored with Scouting after 5 years (if they were Tiger on thru) and are looking for new adventures. The earlier they can get into the troop and join in the activities, the more excited they will become about being a Boy Scout.

Some boys give up on Scouting after Cub Scouts, and the point of the Webelos program is to prepare the boys to become Boy Scouts.

Scott Hemgren

ADC

Central Minnesota Council

My guess is you have done plenty of pins and that these boys are more interested in hands on activities. They can do fun events like tours, bowling, swimming, etc. and they can do community service. Now is also a good time to build up some camping gear since as a new scout they will probably go on a campout pretty quick. Dutch oven cooking is fun too. They can also work on an Akela award since they have a little time.

The boys are going to different troops for different reasons. A few may not really go to troops at all.

I have 3 that will not be 11 until this summer so officially they can not join a troop until they finish 5th grade, since they do not have their Arrow of Light. So I want to make the most use of this "extra" time.

Actually we haven't done plenty of pins. I have a hard time getting parents to remind sons of things outside of meetings. And we end up meeting twice a month for 1 hour each meeting. So, the most pins most of them have is 5 (I think). We go through periods of attendance problems. I don't think the boys really care one way or the other about the actual pins, they just want to have a good time. They enjoy practically anything we do and are eager to learn.

I have a compass game and a place to set it up one evening. They enjoyed the night we set up the tent (some had never been in a tent at all). We are having a warm winter, so I could probably do a "lantern" campfire one night. I know first-aid and citizen are two things that will come in handy as they cross over. Come to think of it, I can also work more with them on the Scout Oath and Law.