Staying on Military Bases

I am working on planning a Pack trip to Washington DC. Alot of the parents are kind of leary about camping but hotels may put it out of reach for some families financially. Has anyone stayed at Military bases recently. I know it was fairly common practice in the past but post 9-11 and during wartime I wasnt sure if this was still an option any advice would be appreciated

We had talked about this back in November. Here's the thread, with lots of good detail from several of us who have served since 9-11 or are currently working on Posts, Camps, Bases and Stations:

http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=172912

I've bumped the thread up to current.

YIS John(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

jpuckett,

get intouch with NCAC (National Capital Area Council) they have a listing of Council approved camping sites within the DC Metro area. This should help. as for the cost of campong to staying at a hotel you are correct it will be more expensive!

The bases in the area, save Andrews AFB or maybe even Pax River NAS (but way too far out of town), really dont have camping on post.

Regards

scott

Thanks for the advice I personally would love to camp. However the parents in my Pack are very "suburban" and not interested in sleeping in tents. I have been given a few good ideas from the reply I recieved and we may be looking into staying in unoccupied college dorms.