I've got a great Corned Beef recipie that I would like to use in a D.O. on a camping trip for the Rocking Chair gang

Well I'm not going to bring two cans of beer on a campout.

By skipping the beer what will be left out?

What does beer/ alcohol do to meat in a simmering pot?

I doubt I'll be able to tell.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is just like wine in a receipe, it adds flavor. You'd have to ask Alton Brown about the chemistry of alcohol and meat. I do think that you'd be able to tell the difference.

You could try it with a couple bottles of near beer like O'Doul's

Here's what the Guide to Safe Scouting says:

The Boy Scouts of America prohibits the use of alcoholic beverages and controlled substances at encampments or activities on property owned and/or operated by the Boy Scouts of America, or at any activity involving participation of youth members.

This prohibition is also cited in: Scoutmaster Handbook, No.33009, and Health and Safety Guide, No. 34415.

http://www.scouting.org/HealthandSafety/GSS/gss04.aspx

I think that cuts to the chase on the real stuff.

However, if one is not drinking the beer but it is an ingredient for a dish, it is not a beverage.

This is one of those instances where you need to look at the spirit and intent of the rule. Is the rule there to keep people from cooking with the beer? No, it is there to keep people from drinking the beer.

As for "contolled substances," Adderall is a controlled substance. Does that make it prohibited? Noooo. Once again, there are exceptions to the rule.

24 fluid ounces of liquid (ie 2 cans of beer) is a large amount indicating that the dish is cooking by stewing as vs say steamed in beer which only requires a little. If you are wanting to alter the recipe try some fruit juice instead this will give a different flavor with some of the tenderizing properties not that stewed meat needs much tenderizing. I might want to try the dish at home on the family first say in the crock pot before embarrassing myself on a campout. When I am cooking to impress I drag the Brinkman along and do the dessert in the DO.

This was found on a page posted for people who could suffer reactions from alcohol:

ALCOHOL AND COOKING

Wine, beer, and distilled spirits can add flavor, tenderness, and texture to the foods you prepare. Some of the alcohol burns off or evaporates during cooking. A flamed dish (flamb), for example, retains up to 75% of its alcohol content. On the other hand, only 35% of the alcohol remains in food that has been baked for 30 minutes. Longer cooking usually reduces the alcohol content further.

The total amount of alcohol left depends on how long the dish was cooked, the preparation method used, and the amount of distilled spirits, wine, or beer used. Since most recipes do not contain much alcohol, the amount remaining should not pose any health concerns.

Regular table wine may be more flavorful than cooking wine, which is usually high in sodium.

Nonalcoholic Substitutions: If you want to omit alcohol in a recipe, always replace it with an equal amount of liquid, such as water, broth, apple or white grape juice. Here are some quick, flavorful substitutions for a cup (8 oz.) of wine or spirits:

⅞ cup (7 oz.) chicken broth, vegetable broth or a fruit juice and ⅛ cup (1 oz.) lemon juice or vinegar

an equal amount of nonalcoholic wine

water and flavored vinegar, such as raspberry or tarragon, to taste

water and similarly flavored extracts (essences) to taste

I would also make the assumption that in a closed cooking system, a portion of the alcohol that would have evaporated will be recondensed back into the dish.

Yeah the G2SS does limit your options in this case. I don't think splitting hairs over beer being used as an ingredient in a recipe versus as a beverage is wise. If you get caught, it really makes no difference. Too, bad! I've had this recipe & it is really good! Adding fruit juice is just wrong!

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10