We had been talking about doing this as well...

Spelling check. I think that you're talking about rappelling or as the Euros call it "abseiling." Look in the yellow pages for outfitters and call one of them and ask who/where offers classes in rock climbing and/or rappelling.(This message has been edited by Gold Winger)

Yah, ain't northeast GA pretty flat? :p

Yeh can also go rappelling off of buildings and towers and such.

There's an old book out there called Rock'n'Road that was an atlas of climbing areas in the US. I think it's still available. And it's a sure bet that if there are any local crags in north Georgia you'll find some beta online or from locals. Yeh might have to go to the northwest corner of the state to find some rock. Check around Lafayette. Here's a link to get yeh started:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/North_America/United_States/Georgia/Georgia_North/

Now, don't get me wrong, but yeh know yeh really scare some of us with the random "go grab a rope and jump off a mountain" stuff, eh? Rappelling is a dangerous part of climbing, and most experienced climbers avoid it when they can. You're system dependent, which means if you're inattentive and mess up da system, yeh crater. It doesn't take much to end up as an "uncontrolled rappel" statistic, eh?

Find somebody who knows what they're doin', is careful and safe about it. And then forget the silly adrenaline hype of stunts like "Aussie rappelling" and learn somethin' really cool and worthwhile, like how to rock climb.

Beavah

As an old climber, we rappelled when necessary, but only go get down off stuff we couldn't safely downclimb. Yeah, it can be fun, but when you place all your life and safety on a few mechanical points, you will understand that it just isn't worth the risk when avoidable. To note, the most fantastic rappel I've done is off Devil's Tower in a thunderstorm. Three pitches of wet double ropes. Very exhilarating.

Gern,

That also describes hang gliding, sky diving and SCUBA diving as well.

Auto racing, aerobatic flying and just riding a motorcycle could be included.

Riding an roller coaster or ferris wheel.

The list is endless. Heck, one might even includ rock climbing.(This message has been edited by Gold Winger)

Yeah, we all weigh the risks with the rewards.

Some ride slow, bejeweled, over sized, two wheeled VWs; others ride sport bikes.

But talk to any accomplished rock climber/mountaineer and rappelling is not one of things they do for fun. You will never hear, "Gosh, I just want to get to the top so we can do that awesome rappel back down."

I went rapelling once back in the mid 1990's. somewhere in southern California. Where was that again? oh yeah...

MCRD San Diego.

I wouldn't do it again. at least not there. but then again me and heights are not friends.(This message has been edited by beardad)

I rappelled regularly in ROTC, all those years ago. Our trips to our field site certainly were not "grab a rope and go." In peacetime training, for every person on a line, we had at least two in some safety duty, be it top man or belay man.

You have lots of places in NE Ga for this activity. Take a look at Tallulah Gorge. Then the Amicalola Falls area. Do they allow this on Stone Mountain?

Call the Rainey Mountain Scout Camp and see what they advise. Call the Chattahoochee National Forest offices. Or you can go a short distance further over to the Chattanooga area or into NC and find abundant places to die.

Another thought - check those yellow pages to see if there's a rock gym in the area. You can get some thrills with instruction and supervision. And they attract folks who practice in the gym during the week before heading out for some real rock on the weekends.

Climb on!

-mike

Hops, be careful. You just dared to disagree with Gern, now he's going to mock you and possibly cite his resume as well.

Let's look at the situation. This young lady is on spring break and wants to do something different. She wants to go rappelling. Most young and invincible people who haven't done it think its fun. Heck, I was at Philmont with a bunch of Airborne guys who did the climbing and rappelling with the Scouts and they thought both parts are fun.

In a classroom settin it's not that risky. She's not going to rappel off the Sears Tower in a blizzard or something equally foolish.

(This message has been edited by Gold Winger)

Hops,

I think rappelling is fun, too, and I'm way over the hill. Our guys go to Red River Gorge, KY, every year. We do a 217 foot rappell down Indian Staircase (check out the pics here):

http://www.troop325bsa.com/photos/rrg2005/index.html

We think the really tough part is trying to climb back up using our rope ascenders and prusick cords.

On Belay; Belay On; Ready to Rappel; Rappel Away! :cool:.