• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally, I've switched to Tim Horton's. They tell me aboot fifteen million Canadians can't be wrong, eh?

I cant find fault with any of the methods posted that describe a sucessful trail to a cuppa joe...but have you considered the one thing that helps you enjoy your coffee just that much more? Location...location...location!

The best spot for the "morning blessing"? Anywhere in Philmomt on the trail is my favorite spot. My trail partner and fellow adviser, Michael Jackson (NO..NOT that Michael Jackson!)had his 2-cupper with him on our trek in 2006...after my folding stool, it was the 2nd most important piece of gear we had along...a cuppa joe in the morning was something to savor and anticipate.

Real man's camp coffee? 1 large tin cup, handful of whole beans. If they are not roasted, roast in a fry pan first. Put the beans in the cup and use the handle of the jackknife to grind them up in the bottom of the cup. Add water, stick in the fire. Let boil until it resembles coffee. By the time one is able to drink from a hot cup, the grounds will have settled. Unless one's campsite is carpeted, the occasional ground found in the coffee can be spit out.

Stosh

Too late to edit - instead of "duh Ed" read "I think you're preaching to the choir here - I can't even buy a bottle of wine in that brown shirt, much less actually drink anything. It's a weird kind of almost-instinct-level kinda thing."

Stosh, if they're not roasted, I could whip up a light-weight roaster in about five minutes that would give you a much better taste...frying is, by definition, not roasting:

Vickie

:^) I do Civil War reenacting with a Venturing Crew and all we carry is a cup and a canteen half to use as a fry pan for "roasting", and I didn't think that grinding the beans with the rifle butt would be appropriate on a BSA forum. We don't have flashlights and I think trying to grind with a candle might not work out too well. All in all, some of these historic reenactor people can put together a terrific cup of camp coffee! Some of the egg-coffee ladies have a pot on all weekend long and it's worth the long hike from military to civilian camp and back just for a cup!

Stosh

Actually, Gunny, he is referring to something I posted. Before we spin off, I'll elaborate, although I'm still not sure what GW meant.

As Ed mentioned - no alcohol consumed in front of scouts. In most areas, that seems to be expanded to not consuming alcohol in uniform (I think that unspoken habit is fairly universal based on other threads on this board). In another thread, long ago, somebody mentioned not even buying liquor in the grocery store in uniform - I don't do that either. When it came up in conversation around a campfire one night, other adults said they felt weird doing that as well. That's all I meant.

Maybe I should have stuck with "duh, Ed" but that seemed a bit rude:

I don't mind the bag stuff. But, most coffee tastes bad because of the cup. Styrofoam is the worst followed by the mega plastic cup from any gas station followed by the plastic coated paper. Best taste comes in a porcelain mug or glazed stoneware followed by glass then stainless steel. Black, hot, strong.

...Until you cut you a slice, not pour you a cup. Other considerations: how long it took you to get the boys to sleep the night before, or how sore you are from the previous days hike!

Ok this thread has gone from coffee to tea to cheese to scotch to graham crackers!

How about some ideas of some good coffee to purchase. Anyone got a favorite?

The best coffee I have had in in Europe. The Netherlands and Finland.

But I will drink just about any coffee, even starbucks in a pinch. Black no sugar thank you.