I don't care for instant. I don't usually care for the bag either.

I don't minded warmed up coffee. I turn the burner off after my coffee brews so that it doesn't spend hours being heated. Second and third cups, just pop it in the radar box for about 20 seconds. Drink it the next day? Nah. Well, only if I really need the jolt.

Don't like hazelnut or vanilla coffee. No cream. No sugar. Can't stand Starbucks coffee.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally, I've switched to Tim Horton's. They tell me aboot fifteen million Canadians can't be wrong, eh?

GW, that reminds me of some humor about our neighbors to the north... Canada, land of French know-how, American culture and British cuisine...

and another...Heaven is where the police are British, lovers are French, mechanics are German, cooks are Italian, and it's all organized by the Swiss. Hell is where the police are German, lovers are Swiss, mechanics are French, cooks are British and it's organized by the Italians.

About that coffee...CM and I were drinking mass produced swill at our Webeloree, when our Dist. Training Chair pulled us into his camp. He had the Coleman stovetop with some fresh brew, and we had life again. Next campout CM had his brand new Coleman out and ready to please the grouchy masses. I used the teabag coffee when my family went camping in our subcompact, and space was limited, but that was desperation.

I like "cowboy" coffee. Just boil a pot of water and dump coffee in the boiling water. I let it boil 'til it looks about right and then pull it off the fire.I've settled the grounds with eggshells (not my favorite method), cold water, a cold rock, but my favorite method is to sling the pot. It is dramatic and the boys get a kick out of watching me do it. It also freaks out the newbie Dads.

Gold Winger,

Buxton Blue cheese.

Cheddar cheese

Cheshire cheese

Chevington cheese

Croglin

Derby Cheese

Dorset Blue Vinney cheese

Dorset Drum

Fine Fettle Yorkshire Cheese

Five Counties cheese

Gloucester cheese

Harbourne Blue

Huntsman cheese

Ilchester Cheese

Lancashire cheese

Leicester cheese

Lincolnshire Poacher (cheese)

Lymeswold cheese

Norbury blue

Pilgrim's Choice

Red Windsor cheese

Sage Derby cheese

Shropshire Blue cheese

Stilton (cheese)

Stinking Bishop cheese

Wensleydale

All English cheeses.

Now it's your turn.

Name some true American Cheeses.(I hope you don't think that yellow oily stuff that some people place on top of burgers is really cheese!!)

Eamonn.

PS

Poirot was also an English invention!!

You didn't say "American cheeses" you said, "make cheese."

Also, if you don't like American cheese (it is Cheese according to the FDA) on your burgers, go back to that strange land that you come from.(This message has been edited by Gold Winger)

-Yeah, but do they know coffee, which is what this thread is all about? - Actually, point of fact, this thread is theoretically about how to percolate coffee, which I think we handled more than adequately in the first couple of pages:

thanks Vicki. It is nice to know where things came from.

Just for information, here is what I have. I have a perculator that cam ein a camp cookset. Ozark Trail. It is an 8 cup perc. What I was asking was, how much of the course ground should I use and how long to cook.

I am not adding cheese. :)

" but it certainly isn't about cheese."

It is now. :-)

Coffee is like scotch. The enthusiasts can argue this vs. that all day long but none of that matters in the long run. You drink it for one reason.

As long as coffee isn't unpalatable (Starbucks), I don't care where it was grown. If asked, I prefer a dark roast but, in reality, any is fine.

Scotch is the same. It all tastes like old socks.

Now, GW, OTOH, a finely aged Macallen with a graham cracker and a bit of a slightly sweet white cheese whose name escapes me at the moment is really a treat too! Not at all like old socks.

But, back to the question, I would put a tablespoon of grounds in for every eight ounces of water. Depending on the temp of the water will be how long it takes for the water to get hot enough to rise to your small glass top. Once the water is brown in the top, about another five minutes (or so). Careful that you don't let it boil too hard, otherwise it will seep out through the top of your percolator and make a mess.

Another rule of thumb is to fill your metal coffee holder three quarters of the way full, proceed as above.

Experiment with it until you have it as strong or weak as you like it.

Just to clarify, coffee as a caffeine delivery system is unparalleled and I will happily drink just about any swill in camp as long as it's strong.

Vicki(This message has been edited by Vicki)