• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally, I've switched to Tim Horton's. They tell me aboot fifteen million Canadians can't be wrong, eh?

Just be careful leaving those Coleman Drippers out overnight if the temps are going to dip down into freezing.

One of the ASMs on my son's last campout did an impressive job of blowing the thing up in the morning because some water froze somewhere that didn't like being rapidly heated up.

I second the coffee tea-bags. Just for the love of everything holy, not instant, which is what we had this weekend on our Cub Freeze-out overnight -- bleh! (The person in charge of buying the food is evidently NOT a coffee drinker....)

we have one of those Coleman drip machines, but we rarely use it these days. We use the "tea" bag coffee packets most of the time. Sometimes, if I'm in charge of the coffee, I just throw a couple of those pre-made coffee/filter packs into our metal camp coffee pot, fill with water and let it boil for a while. I do tend to make very strong coffee - husband says I should just put a pinch of freeze-dried Folgers between my cheek and gums.

JAVA HERESY!

Coffee bags? Perhaps between my cheek and gum. I can use the string for floss. But only one grade above instant for flavor.

Brewing the night before and reheating? That's just nasty.

Chef reconstituting old coffee? And he calls himself a professional.

Coleman drip? Glass carafe just begging to get busted.

Here's my hoopty. http://www.rei.com/product/765757

makes 50 oz in one batch. Unbreakable lexan. The plunger is a bit tender and care must be taken, but REI replaces no questions asked. They make a smaller version for backpacking.

The great thing about the press is you heat water for everyone in a big kettle/pot, then draw off it just like the cocoa, Tang and tea drinkers.

I have one of the Coleman coffee makers, it works very good, I thought the glass pot would be broken pretty quickly, it has held up for 5 years. The worse thing is that I need to clean it out often the nasty water I have put through it at different camping areas really plugs it up quick. Got lots of grief when I bring it on campouts but when I was able to have coffee ready in less than 10 minutes the ones that mocked it was the first in line to get a cup of coffee when it was done. The old timers said we should be using the old peculator that takes over 30 minutes for to make a pot, I got grief when I used coffee filters in the old peculator.

On high adventures we have used the coffee in bags that was not to bad. This year we used the coffee in the sealed filters and threw them in the boiling water that worked well also, better coffee than the coffee in tea bags. I am going to have check into one of the presses.

Now how many of you coffee "snobs" drink Starbucks coffee?

Way back in my youth, after Brownsea Island but before the end of the red berets, I worked after school (High School) at a metal shop, it was a one man shop, with me helping when I could and on Saturday. Well, the guy had a 30 cup coffee maker and made a pot on Monday and just reheated it until it was gone, usually on Saturday

Then add in when I finished X-Ray school I started working second and shift at a hospital where sugar, creamer et al was locked up tight at 3:30pm so coffee, if available, was old and black which is the only way I can drink it now.

Campfire coffee is the best kind!