Philmont trek with sleep apnea

A member of our crew scheduled for a Philmont trek this June has developed sleep apnea. He now uses a Continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine to treat his condition.

Has anyone with this condition completed a Philmont trek? If so, what steps were taken to effectively make this a reality?

A CPAP machine is a battery powered device which is used during sleep. The batteries can be carried and could be recharged at various locations on the Trek with proper planning. Do you think this would be doable?

Thanks,

John

Extra batteries!. On one trek I carried a video recorder, 8 hours worth of tape and three extended life batteries one of which I recharged at Fish camp. The only "problem" I can see is the Philmont Med Dept. Sleep apnea is not listed on the Med form as a disqualifier, many people have the condition and choose not to treat it and have no problem hiking. What is the persons size and weight? What kind of exsperience do they have and what is their physical condition beyond the sleep problem?

LongHaul

Longhaul,

The person is in good physical condition, and has hiked for many years. He probably weighs around 170lbs and is about 55 years old.

I don't think he has a physical limitation except for the sleeping disorder.

John

I once ran across a guy who had one of those machines at summer camp. He used a car battery to run it. I hope that they have smaller machines now.

On my Philmont trek, we only came across one staff camp that had electricity. Most have solar power to run their radios but that's it. No computers. No outlets for charging cell phones or camera batteries.

Depending on the batteries and their size, you might ask if they'll send out batteries to be waiting at the different staff camps where you'll be visiting. The downside is that you might have nights where no staff camps are nearby. We spent two nights with no staff camps within miles.

OK next question is what is the effect of not using his CPAP for 14 days or so? He will be a little more tired than the rest of you in the morning and around 2 in the afternoon if he is like those I know that have the aliment and go untreated. He'll be a little more irritable than the rest of you. I still say go!

LongHaul

His doctor and the Philmont medical staff makes the call. Sorry I don't have any answers for you but here are some questions to ask.

1. (As mentioned) What is the impact on his health if the device totally fails upon arrival? Does he not sleep or do crew members have to take turns monitoring his breathing during night?

2. Has he used this device successfully on a local group training treks?

3. How well does this device work at Philmont high elevations, i.e., Philmont is not at sea level?

4. Are the batteries a common off-the-shelf variety?

5. If traveling to Philmont by plane, has he had any problems transporting device on a plane.

6. How much noise does this CPAP make? Will it keep the rest of the crew up at night? Does it beep when to battery voltage is becoming low?

7. Size and weight of CPAP, batteries, mask, hose, and maybe backup CPAP.

I suffer from sleep apnea, actually, I dont suffer at all, however my snoring, as I have been told, compares to the low somnolent tones of a 747 ready for take off. The noise of my machine is nothing compared to the melodies I otherwise produce.

According to my doctor, snoring and sleep apnea are not synonymous. I snore like a buzz saw but I apparently lack a number of symptoms of apnea, especially the periodic cessation of breathing. I just snore for eight hours straight.

I've had sleep apnea since I was 40. I shared a tent with a medical doctor on a training weekend and he alerted me to the condition. I asked my wife and she said I stop breathing for 30 seconds at a time then take a breath like I was coming up from under water and gasping for breath. My doctor says that it puts me at higher risk for stroke and heart attack but that it would not cause either on of these by itself. My sleep pattern is disrupted and as a result I am tired in the mornings and around 2 in the afternoon. I've never used medications or devices and have been on 2 Philmont treks one at 48 one at 52. The older I get the more I notice the effects of the sleep disruption. The med form from Philmont does not mention sleep apnea so unless your physician feels yours needs to be brought to the attention of the Philmont Med staff they would never know. What does this guys doctor say? If stopping the use of the CAPA for 14 days is a big deal this guy probably has other medical conditions that disqualify him.

LongHaul

Thank you all for your help.

Of course the hiker will have an MD's opinion, and he is planning on hiking with this condition at sea level. The real power of this forum is to be able to provide both him and his MD examples of other hikers with this condition (should they exist), and how they were able to handle the situation. He is ready to drop out if need be, but is it necessary? It is a big decision and He may only get one chance to hike Philmont with his son, so it needs to be an informed decision. He needs all the help he can get.

thanks

John

I have OSA (obstructive sleep apnea) and sleep with a CPAP. The device with it's accoutrements and travel case weigh about 10 pounds and is the size of a small carry-on bag. That's without batteries. I, too was in denial and thought the only problem I had was my wife waking me up every 30 minutes to tell me to quit snoring. I didn't associate the morning headaches, congestion and sleepiness with the apnea. I asked my Doc what would happen if I just ignored it and didn't get the CPAP. His answer, "You'll have a stroke and die in your sleep. Or worse, you'll have a stroke and you won't die, you'll just be a vegetable." I now use a CPAP. I do take it to summer camp where i can plug in to an outlet. Weekend campouts now are limited to day visits, which is ok, especially in the winter ;-)...

My brother in law had the palate surgery where they cut the soft palate away with a laser. It didn't work. He said it was the most painful, miserable thing he'd ever experienced.

Unless the doc gives approval to be without it, I would say taking the CPAP on a trek is a non-starter, due to weight and battery logistics. Please tell him to discuss this with his Dr and not to depend on our opinions here...they mean nothing.

I have OSA and use a CPAP. I've been on two treks since being diagnosed. Bringing the CPAP is not an option at Philmont. Even with newer, lighter machines and better batteries it's not possible - no chances for recharging, difficulty in staging batteries, weight, etc.

Having said that, I have a dental device called "Silent-Nite". It was made by my dentist. It keeps my lower jaw pulled forward and helps keep the airway open. It is not as good as the CPAP, no comparison. However, it allows me to be active in the backcountry without the CPAP. I definitely do no sleep as well without the CPAP, but I look at this as part of the price.

Types of solutions and their effectiveness depend on the individual case.

YMMV - ICWTGBTP

ed