Need help: New Scout, outdoor camping, gear tips...

Kudu,

Thanks for the explanation. I have little COLD weather experience, so I want to learn as much as I can before my Wolf gets to that point. After our local Klondike had single digit camping, my wife has already said that our son won't be allowed to do anything like that. I want to learn as much as possible before then. I have already learned quite a bit from reading this forum.

Rob

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

For those new parents, scouts, campers, etc. looking for guidance, I point you to a free pdf download file for those considering camping and backpacking gear. I am not connected with the site, but can heartily recommend the easy read there on backpacking gear (a lot of which can apply to regular camping). Anyway, go to http://www.kuffelcreek.com/new_release.htm and download the Lightweight Backpacking document and give it a good read - it will help you with gear decisions and make those outings more enjoyable.

john

Sounds like it was a good event. It's a little late but...

Besides gear, a little education will go a long way.

Look up and explain the different kinds of heat transfer, Conduction, convection and radiation.

Which type allows the most heat transfer? That is, you will lose the more heat with one type than another. (Conduction)- so what touches the ground all the time? The boots, more a lot of heat loss can happen there where, coupled with the feet getting less circulation. Boots that keep the feet dry are very important. Speaking of circulation, what happens if you ahve too many socks and the boot is tight? Less circulation, thus less heat.

Which one is the least efficient? (radiation, which is why I'd rather carry more insulation instead of a reflective blanket)

What happens when your clothes get wet? (convection heat loss turns into conduction heat loss, and you lose a lot more heat that way)

A little science in relation to talking about gear can help bring it all together.(This message has been edited by Eagle1982)