Diabetes and backpacking in bear country

"My vote is also with the pharmacy. Get the glucose tablets in sealed foil and forget the worry."

There's a reason that they're called "chalk pills." Yech! After two decades, I'm still a firm believer in Life Savers. Inexpensive, widely available, almost indestructable, and yummy.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re boots and odors

In 2002 my son and I were returning from Philmont in uniform. The good people at the airport requested that my son take his boots off. Mind you, we had been off of the trail for over 24 hours at this point, properly showered, etc. After my son took his first boot off, the security guy immediately excused him from taking his second boot off and urgently requested that he put the other boot back on.

The idea of putting small quantities of sugar containing items sealed in the original packaging in one's boot for ready access at night strikes me as a good idea. No guarantee, but a good idea nevertheless.

• 1 month later...

I have done quite a bit of camping in wild country. My best guess is that the gluose in small plastic tubes or packets would be effective for what you want. My activities include scuba diving, and I take those down as a part of my dive emergency packet. They do not seem to have gotten water in them or attracted the fish which generaly come after everything and anything. I have stored the rolls of glucose tablets and the prepackaged individual tablets. They are good, but the plastic packets are much better as far as I am concerned. Bears nor other smaller critters have bothered my camping gear to get at them.