in my 1940 era Scout Handbook and thinking about the ideal that was brought up of having a Classic Series of Obsolete Merit Badges for today Scouts (whoever posted this ideal, I think it's great).

Here's a set that might be considered

Wood Work

1. Design and construct a small piece of furniture in which mortis and tenon or dowel joints are used...

2. Make plans...or rough sketch...of the piece selected.

Wood Turning

Teaches a scout how to use a woodturning lath

Carpentry

Blacksmithing

Stalking

Gets the scout in the outdoors learning how to track and follow game

Anybody got any others from the past to add (1911 to 1970 say), before I start pestering National about doing this...

Well, Ahem ::preening feathers:: that was my idea, classic merit badges.....

I am not sure these were merit badges, but they would be very intersting along the lines of a classic series

Lumberjack: requires parts on axe safetry, how to sharpen a buck saw,how to operate a one man buck saw, how to operate a two man saw (this is a killer if you have ever seen two neophytes go at it), how to determine what direction to fell the tree amoung others

I love the blacksmith one

Perhaps one called Frontier Pioneering, how to make a sod house, hitch a team of oxen to a cart or wagon, how to care for the oxen, or horses amoung other duties. It would be fun to see todays kids try to use 1860's era tools, wouldnt it? And then the scouts would to aprectiate what they have today

I like the idea of the Lumberjacking MB. I think it would be a great challenge for the Scouts. However, doesn't the BSA have the Paul Bunyan award? If I remember, it is patch of a full doubled bladed ax. If they still have that award, I wouldn't mind seeing them convert it to a merit badge.

Those are all great ideas, but I wonder how easily it would be to get National to go along with creating or recreating them. It's been my understanding that Merit Badges are usually dropped when National takes stock of how many Scouts are actually working on and earning them. Lack of participation seems to be the rule for dropping a Merit Badge.

The woodworking ideas would be great, and might be easily counselled as there seems to be many adults these days who work with wood, either professionally or as amateurs. The Blacksmith one might be difficult in areas like the Northeast where the trade is all but a dying art. I only know of one Scouter, an older gentleman, who practices it. Getting counselors for that one might prove difficult.

I think the Stalking one might have to have a name change in order to be PC. :)

Oh, and concerning both the woodworking ideas and the lumberjack idea, isn't there some obscure rule (maybe not so obscure) in Scouting that Scouts aren't allowed to use power equipment like chainsaws and skill saws? Or are they allowed under adult supervision? Seems crazy, but I thought that was a rule. They can use guns, why not power equipment?

LOL, I can just picture a troop trying to find a place and a counselor for the Frontiering idea here in Massachusetts.

I still like the idea of a Sewing Merit Badge. Not just for patches, but also for tent and clothing repair on the trail.

Anyone out there know if there's a merit badge specific to cold weather camping? Things like making muclucks (sp?) and such?

POWER TOOL!!!!!!????????

Hey Hey Hey, in MY Lumberjack merit badge, there wont be any room for noise polluting, air befouling monstrosities. Its only hand powered tools, if it was good enough for Paul Bunyan, its good enough for scouts.

Actually upon closer review, the Paul Bunyan Award shows a double bit axe, is it just me, or arent double-bit axes (or is it axi?) not allowed in Boy scouts, but then, why have one on an official patch? Oh the Horror , The Horror

We did a Totin' Chip training awhile back. I brought my 6' two man saw to demonstrate sharpening techniques. The huge teeth on those old saws make it easy to see and understand how a saw blade actually cuts wood. Well of course the guys couldn't wait to try it out on a real log. So we went to work on a 30" diameter section of log and they were almost in a frenzy to see who would be the first to use the saw. Once you get in sync with your partner and get your rhythm going, the sawdust will really fly.

Next lesson for them: How to split a section using wedges and an 8 pound sledge.