Advice for Visiting Military Bases

In honor of Veteran's Day, this seems like a good topic.

Lots of troops at some point or another make use of opportunities to camp on military bases. Particularly in "bad weather" months like November in da north. What a great way to keep up a positive relationship between other men and women of service and the BSA, and to introduce the boys to folks who care a heck of a lot about their country.

So here's a chance to share what tips and techniques and ideas great and small yeh have for troops (or packs) visiting military bases. Feel free to include any bases that yeh feel are particularly grand to visit.

Beavah

Out here in Flyover Country, Fort Leavenworth KS is a historic post. It's among the oldest (1827) active and continuously operated intallations west of the Mississippi. It has a six mile trail within the historic area of the post, (I grade it easy) and a 13 mile trail into the Missouri River bluffs (I grade it not as easy).

Whiteman Air Force Base, home of the 509th Bomb Wing and the B-2 Spirit, is just east of Kansas City near Warrensburg, MO.

Getting onto a military post these days requires some thought and planning. I strongly recommend contacting a Troop on the installation to help you with the challenges "at the front gate."

Since 9-11, most posts, camps, stations, and bases have ramped up security by orders of magnitude. Expect it, be ready for it.

At Fort Leavenworth:

- All occupants over 16 must have valid, Government issued photo ID... drivers license, school ID badge, military ID, passport...

- All ID will be scanned; data is sent to the Provost Marshal (chief of police for the installation).

- All cars and trailers not registered on the installation will be throughly inspected. This means:

-- All passengers dismount the vehicle.

-- All doors, hoods and closed compartments are opened. Folks have been asked to remove their gear from trunks and backs of cargo carriers.

-- All undercarriages get inspected with a mirror.

-- Trailers should be accessible when opened. Expect a contract guard, an Army civilian employee policeman, or a MP/dog team to walk through your trailer. I've seen work contractor trailers get pulled into a parking area while the driver downloads gear.

- After hours, security is still vigilant, but the number of guards on duty gets reduced. Planning your trip and working with the installation security folk will enable them to have extra staff on duty and process you quickly. The youth want to camp, not wait in the glare of Kleig lights.

- Different installations have different security standards. The above describes Fort Leavenworth only. Contact the local troop on a base before going. Learn the procedures and support them. It will make the process go faster.

I work on a Naval installation. We are currently at "Force Protection Condition Alpha", meaning the lowest level of alert. All of what John says is true. If you are just visiting for a tour, it should be pretty painless. It is imperative that you make advance arrangements with the base POC, usually the Public Affairs Officer or Security Officer. A list of all vehicles, license numbers, and names and citizenship of all adults over 16. If they're not on the list, they won't get in. If you are planning to camp on base, expect a thorough inspection as John describes. If the FPCON increases for any reason, forget it...have a Plan B.

Concur with all of the above.

Additional point.

Ensure that your insurance paper work, drivers licenses and Vehicle registrations for all vehicles entering the post/base/fort/installation is Complete, Current, and IN THE Vehicle. I know you have the insurance or you wouldn't be transporting the Scouts but if it isn't availible to show to the Security Police (contract or otherwise) you will NOT be allowed to go into the base.

Also the trailer walk through - if you can arrange that any cookboxes, etc. can be opened without unloading this should help also.

CLeanliness and NEAT/ORGANIZED packing of the trailer(i.e. stacking any backpacks instead of just throwing them in) might lessen the amount of time they spend in the trailer also.

One more thing I haven't seen above - Prior coordination - Who What When Where - a week to 30 days in advance at a minimum. And a list of any Camping activities you might take for granted (cat holes) that might need to be provided for in a different way depending on where they place you for your stay.

It's helpful if the unit has a military member with them. A reservist, active or retired member can navigate the system and everyone can be his or her guest.

Redstone Arsenal at Huntsville, AL is near the space center, rockets, exhibits, fun!!!!

Plan ahead, enjoy.

As Mr Oleson said, the paperwork is not much more than what you needed to do the TP, you just, as Gunny said, need to have it with you.

Some of the historic areas on military bases are near where the senior officers and most senior non-coms live. If there was a time to make sure your Scouts are on best behavior, this is it. Soldier Scoutmasters do not like hearing from the chain of command about some guest ill-mannered Scout unit... at the Position of Parade Rest in front of the Garrison Sergeant Major. Yes, it happens.

If you talk to the Public Affairs folk about helping out with a Retreat Ceremony, make sure your kids are uniformly in uniform. I do not care that most installations use the "Post detail brigade" to pull retreat detail, and that many of the rest have all the MP/AP/SP show up at the Flagpole at 1650. That Color means something to us; we see our brothers in harms way when we look at it. I have known more than one old soldier to have a tear in his eye just standing weekday retreat... not even a big ceremony.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

Back in the 80's the Katahdin Area Council held Winterama's at the now-closed Loring AFB, in Limestone, ME. One year my troop went up but I had the flu. I was cheated out of "flying" the B-52 simulators and I am still traumatized to this day.

We stayed at the Kirtland Air Force Base when we went to Double H 4 years ago, what Gonzo1 wrote reminded me of a story. Another leader an Ex Air Force guy set the night up for us. We where met at the Airport by a bus from the Air Force and drove up to the base, I thought wow what great service. As we where going through the gate to get into the base the ASM that set this up went out of the bus to show the guards the paperwork when the guard asked him for ID he handed it to one of the guards, at this time all 4 of the guards snapped to attention and saluted him and said Master Sargent SIR.

That night the same thing happened 2 other times, I and the scouts where impressed.

So what Gonzo1 says is true makes it easier but is not needed.

I may have his title incorrect it might not have been Master Sergeant. But the other leader and I started calling him Master Sergeant SIR for the rest of the trip.

Best behavior is paramount as John-in-KC points out. No horse play where others will see you. If you use the chow hall for any meals, EVERYONE behaves properly.

Same for flag ceremonies, etc.

Also, if using the chow hall, an adult may ask a soldier or two to join the scouts are their table and ask the soldier to just start talking to the scouts. The kids will love it, and so will the soldiers.

If you're in the neighborhood, stop by and see us at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, near Dayton, Ohio, the Birthplace of Aviation and Wilbur and Orville Wright. It's the largest AFB in the country and home of the National Museum of the United States Air Force--plenty to do and see, but as others have said previously, security is paramount these days. If you have a contact on the inside, making arrangements is much easier.

And, yes, dan, Master Seargent SIR is the correct term for your ASM. Thank you all for serving your country, ladies and gentlemen! We appreciate it, and we'll never forget it. :)

Our experience with visiting a military base was that it was an immense hassle. Every time we called up, we'd talk to someone different, who would say we'd need to talk to so-and-so in such-and-such department, and we'd call them, and they wouldn't be there, so we'd wait for a call back, which wouldn't come. Each different person gave us different details on how the process would work, and which facilities we'd have access to. When we were on base, not having people be able to buy stuff at the PX was a pain.

In the end it worked ok, but I don't think we'd ever try again to use a military base as a camping site. Maybe in some special situation...