We have an SPL that was elected back in October and ever since the ASPL has been essentially running things. The SPL is likeable, funny and friendly or he wouldn't have been elected. I don't think the adults would have elected him. He has a high drift factor. The ASPL is an Eagle scout and new to the troop and much more aware and poised; however, I'm not sure it is fair or right to allow the boy to "take over". I don't think the SPL will grow from this experience and seems willing to step back and let the other boy lead. I'm sure some of you have had this experience in your troops.....because it is boy led I presume we just let it go.

Nice likable guy or not, it sounds like the SPL is not ready for the job, otherwise he'd be doing it. If sacking him in favor of another is not where you want to go, you might want to counsel both, separately. Are you the SM? If so, counsel the SPL to make it his business to actually do the job he was elected to do, even if it was a popularity contest. Impress upon him that unless he performs the functions of the job, he can't get rank advancement credit for just wearing the patch. Counsel the more aggressive Scout to use his talents to help the SPL learn to do his job, rather than doing it for him. That's a win-win situation.

Yes, as our scoutmaster is fond of saying, usually to the boys, the troop is boy led, but the adults are reponsible...

Our troop, rather, our scoutmaster has "fired" scouts in positions of responsibility. The time doesnt count for advancement since its done before the time minimum is up. The SPL isnt learning anything except its great to have a title and not have to do anything. He should be counseled to show more invovlement, mentored, helped in any way possible, but if he is not up to it, remove him. It will be a lesson for both him and the troop.

I have a few questions for you:

1. How is the SPL not doing his job? Is he not showing up for events? Is he showing up, but goofing around all the time and not setting a proper example?

2. When is his term over? You mentioned he was elected in October. Is his term over in April or October? If his term ends in April, you can probably ride it out the next couple of months and if he is really doing a bad job, there are two options: he doesn't get reelected by the Scouts (the best solution for a Scout-run troop) or if you think he will get re-elected because of his charisma, then the adults need to convince him to "retire" after this term.

3. What are the duties of the ASPL? Is his job to just be the back up in case the SPL doesn't show up? Or does he have specific duties beyond filling in for the absent SPL. If he doesn't have specific duties when the SPL is present, the position is honorary and a waste of a good Scout's ability.

4. When the ASPL is "taking over", is he dislodging the SPL while the SPL is trying to do his job, or is he justing filling in the gaps he sees in the SPL's leadership. If he's trying to displace the SPL, then he should be reined in. However, if he is filling the gaps the SPL is lacking, then he is showing good initiative and being a good leader (feel lucky).

5. When the ASPL is "taking over", is he taking a servant leader's attitude and being humble about helping the troop or is he trying to just put himself in the spotlight and make himself look good?

If you (or anyone else) would like some ideas on how to use an ASPL, I wrote an article back in college called "How to be an effective ASPL" and it describes my experiences acting as ASPL for our Jamboree troop and for two years at JLTC (I served under the same incredible SPL in all those circumstances). If you'd like a copy of it, feel free to get me you email address and I'll forward a copy to you.

In my years as Scoutmaster I have had to replace Junior Leaders on occasion. What I have done is to counsel with them, tell them what they are doing wrong, or not doing right, and give them a time limit in which to improve (a month or so). If improvement is seen, your problem is over. If not, replace him with someone else, but try to do it tactfully so as not to sour the replaced boy on Scouting.

We are having a similar problem; the SPL who happens to be the SM son is not doing anything that is required of the position. We have already lost 1 boy and a good committee member because of lack of a good program and there are a few more boys who have made mention of leaving. When approached (over the past 3 4 months) the SM keeps telling us he will take care of it and will not allow us to intervene. After having an outside mediator (Who is attached to the Troop) come on a campout and talk to the SPL, we have learned that he very much enjoys Boy Scouts and everything that goes with it. We have also learned that he really does not want the SPL position. The problem is that his father (SM) has made it clear at a leaders meeting that he will not step down his son. Is it time for us ASMs to step in and fix this or are we out of line. We are planning to have another meeting and the majority is to force the SM to replace the SPL.

A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, BRAVE, clean and reverent.

Scouters have to abide by the same law. While we dont often have to risk our lives in normal everyday life, sometimes doing the right thing takes as much courage as almost anything else.

Would the SPL consider resigning? If he doesnt want the job, a resignation would not be out of line. Has anyone told the father the boy doesnt want the position? If resigning would cause the boy problems with his father, and the father wont accept the act his son doesnt want the job, then you have to act.

Have a suitable replacement or two in mind before anybody says anything and have an "Emergency Scoutmaster" identified in case the current scoutmaster quits. After your prework have your meeting.

As loyal as some maybe to the boy and scoutmaster, the good of all the boys and the overall health of the program is at stake. There maybe be problems, but a year from now, you will reflect back and know you did the right thing.

I let a very young SPL of our new troop resign, thinking it would help him focus more on having fun. Instead he quit the troop the week later. It is the one major regret I have, though I suspect he would have quit soon anyway.

I second the recommendation of talking with his father. Even if I made the right decision, I should have talked with his father before talking with him.

Brad