Philmont Staff Backpacking story =)

A few years back, I worked on staff at Philmont at the Base camp. On our off days, we could pretty much go whereever we wanted on the property. It was not unusualy to hitch a ride somewhere and hike in the last mile or two.

On one occassion, I was headed up to Baldy Town. The road is only a few miles away. I was headed up for dinner there with friends who were staffing that camp.

Seeing as that it had been scorching hot, we stopped in Cimmaron at the Grocery store first and picked up a few watermelons - the biggest I could find. I pu those into a backpack and carried those up along with some other junk.

Now is is often the occassion, the staff at many of the camps often eat with the crews coming through.

I was running late and hiked into camp at about the time that they had all started eating. Now some of the scouts you could tell had been hiking for days and looked it and smelled it too. (When you are a staffer in the back country, you can't really tell so much as a base camp staffer coming up on occassion).

I hiked up, took my pack off, set it down, and started taking out the watermelons.

You should have seen the scout faces! It was priceless! Now I also helped drop off staff members near other camps with the same. It was always the same reaction. AAlways a hoot!

• 3 weeks later...

I always love to hear and share Philmont stories, particularly from other staff. I was a Ranger in 1979 and '80 and Backcountry Staff at Black Mountain in '81. These were some of the best times of my life.

As a backcountry staff member I always enjoyed visits from Base Camp staff. At the Black Mountain Cabin (at least back in those days) we burro packed all of our food and supplies in and had no electricity, radio, or roads; needless to say the only running water and refrigeration we had were found in the creek.

I always enjoyed seeing a welcomed guest from Base Camp coming down the trail. (Many times someone none of us even knew.) You were always so thoughtful, as most would bring fresh meat or produce. You were always welcome, with or without the eats, but between those visits from Base Camp (and the commissary, of course) I probably ate the best that summer working at Philmont at Black Mountain than at any other BSA camp (or for that matter, anywhere else). Who would have guessed!

So, to whomever you are and whenever you were there, from those of us in the backcountry, Thank You! Your consideration, and those of your co-workers, I am certain, is not ever taken for granted. -- Outdoors man

• 2 weeks later...