When we set up camp, the adults camp as a patrol, away from the boys. If something like this happened in our Troop, it is extremely unlikely the boys would have heard or seen anything. IMHO, if the boys were close enough to hear/see what happened, they were camping too close to the adults. Some campsites don't allow a Troop to spread out as I have described, and that could have been the situation in this case.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

I tried not to comment in this threaddidnt work so here we go:

It is easy to imagine that, regardless what really happened in that adult leader tent that night, the third adult whos been sleeping under the stars probably has been so subtle in his approach towards the two adult leaders that they must have felt that all hell had broken loose around them. I bet that the third adult will have told everybody and his brother that he caught the two doing the dirty deed and which caused the two leaders to admit that they saw each other during the night.

Did they admit having had sexual intercourse? Or are we just assuming they did?

Is there anything beyond this one adult saying he saw the male leader entering the female leaders tent?

Without real proof I can only say that this was badly handled from the beginning on and that nothing but damage was done.

Here it is customary for the leaders to either sleep in the patrol tent with their patrol or to share a leader tent and gender doesnt matter. Yet nobody yells youth protection or adultery. But then, far be it from me to say whos right and whos wrong.

Best regards,

Volker

That's an interesting approach, Volker! Sadly I don't think it would fly over here. And honestly when I am camping I really do not want to share my small private space with anybody else. My tent is my retreat. (Probably a very American attitude, I know, but it is still mine)

I agree with you though, about your overall assessment of the situation in this thread. Just another example of the fact that adults often don't behave much better than the kids.

Hi Lisabob,

for me this forum is an interesting learning experience. Things which are just natural over here are a big no-no there. What is standard there would be frowned upon elsewhere.

I love this diversity in scouting. It gives this forum a bit of Jamboree flavour.

best regards,

Volker

Hi OGE,

about the lawsuits, I'd have to ask my attorney. He might be able to find out.

I checked with the German yearbook of statistics, though, and based on cases which were reported to the police, verified and tried, the following data can be produced for 2006:

In 2006 a total of 12765 children and youths were sexually abused. Of these, 963 involved abuse by someone in a position of authority, leadership or trust (including parents, other relatives, teachers, policemen, etc.)

None of these abusers had anything to do with the scouts.

May I ask why you are asking?

best regards,

Volker

I wasnt asking for specific numbers, over here it seems the local news section of the paper is full of lawsuits concerning sex abuse cases whether by religious leaders, scout leaders, sports coaches or school teachers and the lawsuits that follow. I was wondering if Germany had the same reaction that our society has.

Hello,

well, I suppose there are lawsuits, but it takes more than an assertion to turn it into hard fact.

The figures prove that things are happening, but it doesn't make everybody permanently upset either. Just because one Catholic priest has abused children, it doesn't mean that all Catholic priests are like that.

The kids are being put in our care. Parents are encouraged to come to troopnights and see for themselves what is being done there. If they like they can visit us on trek or in camp as well, day or night.

best regards,

Volker

Our church youth group camps with youth and leaders sharing tents - with the boys in one large tent with the adult male leader, and the girls in another large tent with the adult female leader. So there is more than one 'American' approach.

Some of the kids are in both groups. It can be a weird experience as an adult to move back and forth between the two groups.

Yes the whole troop knows what happened by now. As soon as one scout overheard his or other parents talking about this...

Their ongoing involvement in the troop should be decided ongoing if their presence presents an obstruction to scouting activities.

This should be decided by the scouting leadership and not the parents.

But parents are always welcome to provide 'input.'

With my employees I accept mistakes. And yes, sometimes these 'mistakes' are premeditated acts of stupidity. I find the best employees are ones that have been 'fixed', not ones that have never been broken. My children as well as my employees benefit from my personal creed...everyone gets two chances...the first one and the last one. I accept mistakes, but I also demand they learn from them.

A broken bone healed is the toughest part of the bone. A healed scar is the toughest part of the skin.

" He who is without sin cast the first stone..."

Whether from a natural or religious perspective we can't simply throw these people out, unless it is shown that their presence is an impediment to the scouting activities in the future.

After all...that is the context of this entire event...otherwise it would be moot.