We have a leader that made a mistake. Before he was divorced, he began dating another leader. Late one night he visited this other leaders tent. A non-leader parent observed this. No youth ever found out. Both leaders admit the mistake and are sorry. The troop has agreed that both should not attend a campout at the same time and both leaders agree.

Should both leaders be kicked out of Scouting?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When this happened were the divorcees to be, still together or had the maraige already finished by that stage?

To be kicked oout of scouting for something like that, where they caused no disturbance to the camp, and no youth ever found out is a little bit over the top.

The marriage was over, but not publically. One of the two leaders has resigned to take a more demanding job. The witnessing parent is out for the remaining leaders head on a platter. The best the SM can do is to call a parent's meeting to let them decide. Obviously the remaining leader would prefer not to have their dirty laundry aired for the world to see.

The Scoutmaster is going to get a group of parents together and tell them what one person saw and then will do what the parents say? Yikes!

The Charter Representative and the Institutional Head are the ones charged with selecting adult leaders, its their call whether anyone stays or goes. There should be a meeting about this with them, no one else. Least wise thats my opinion

People are people and we make mistakes. Stops us being cyborgs and getting a bit too proud.

They made a mistake. They recognise that. They are adults and adults make decisions about their lives.

Doesn't sound like (given the public airing of the mistake) that they will co-habitate again regardless of other peoples rules.

Maybe everyone should get over it and let them get on with their lives.

Given that the camp was not disturbed through the night I really can't believe that anyone would do anything other than have a quiet word with them in the morning.

I am assuming that this was a mixed gender escapade, so am I being dense here? Was a BSA rule broken? They showed poor judgement to be sure, but nothing illegal, or in violation of YP or the G2SS. I think a quiet word to the involved parties would take care of it, the same as if someone was smoking cigarettes or drinking beer or gambling for money after all the scouts were asleep.

A simple word to the two of them with the SM and CC and the COR. I do not see why they cannot be leaders or even forbid them from camping at the same event.

They made a mistake, they realized it and want to correct it.

As to the parent that wants "blood", tell them that it has been taken care of, and it is not their concern (or business), but thank them for their watchful eye.

Pete

In my troop, when a boy has done something wrong, we reprove him by pointing out the point in the scout law he has violated.

In this case, I can see "Trustworthy", "Loyal", "Obedient", "Reverent" being trashed right off the bat. And this is by the adults who are to instill these values in the boys.

The adults must be held to a higher standard than the boys, since we are trying to form a sense of the rightness of our values to live by. If the boys do find out, then they will feel that they can do anything they want, because the adults do.

Mistake, error, violation or sin, however you choose to view this behavior; it is so bad that in my mind it would invalidate these people as leaders. They should not be holding forth the scout law values as a basis to live by if they can not even stop themselves from doing it on a camping trip. They may be forgiven, but not again trusted with the most sacred of tasks, the raising of our young men in the scout program. At least not for a long while.

All it will take to destroy the program is for us to invest as leaders the very people who esteem the values so little. I have seen this happen in churches for the last 20 years, and it should not happen here.

Sorry to be so extreme. But I treasure the values more than these two "mistake ridden" people. Let them bow out quietly, or let them ask forgiveness, but let them go.

Let me put my District Hat on for a second. In a nutshell, the matter has been resolved. The issue was raised to the Troop (I assume meaning the Troop Committee and Chartering Organization) and a decision on how to proceed was made. There isnt anything in the Troop's decision that seems outside acceptable limits so even if a parent came to the district/council to complain my suspicion is they would do little more then to listen courteously and do nothing.

Seems like the proposed punishment by a few is a bit overboard, and will only serve to tarnish both leaders reputations more than they may already be.

They admitted their mistake, and it should be left at that. If the COR and IH want to institute a stronger punishment, so be it, but I think it's overkill.

I've seen leaders sneak a smoke now and then, knowing that they're out of view of any Scouts --- should they be booted from Scouting too?...