Hi fellow Scouters,

I''ll be traveling from Dayton, OH, to Oklahoma City, OK, on a business trip next week (September 17th), and I had planned to stop and camp out one evening on the way out and on the way back home. My plan was to find a campground about half-way between Dayton and Oklahoma City. This would be somewhere in the greater St. Louis, MO, area. Does anyone from the great State of Missouri (or Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Oklahoma or anywhere else for that matter) have a recommendation for a campground in that area? Thanks for your help.

I don''t know where you want to stop but if you want to do future planning for an outing at the same time, check out the KATY trail. It runs from Clinton, MO on the western side fo the state all the way up into the eastern area - LOADS of possible campsites. I haven''t done the Katy myself and so can''t give a direct endorsement for a specificcampground up there.

If you can go a little bit out of your way, look up Ha Ha Tonka State park and see if you would like to check it out. There is a burned out stone castle, Large spring, collapsed cave that left a natural bridge where a center span didn''t fall. Our Scouts loved that trip.(This message has been edited by Gunny2862)

US Army Corps of Engineers, as Part of Truman Lake, operates several superb campgrounds. One such is Talley Bend, located just a few miles from the GREAT H ROE BARTLE BOY SCOUT RESERVATION and Scott''s Iconium Store, home of the world famous Nehi Peach Float:

http://www.nwk.usace.army.mil/harryst/camping.htm#Talley_Bend

Talley Bend (Corps of Engineers)

Talley Bend is located on the Osage Arm of Truman Reservoir approximately 7 miles east of Lowry City, Missouri. Facilities include a boat launching ramp and campground. The campground contains 175 campsites (many with electrical hookups), shower and laundry facilities, and childrens playground equipment. The Talley Bend area has a reputation for excellent blue and flathead catfishing. Paddlefish are often caught in the spring of the year.

Directions: From Lowry City, Missouri 7 miles east on State Road C.

(Note: Lowry City is on Missouri 13 between Springfield and Clinton.

• 2 weeks later...

In St. Charles County we have Klondike and Quiver river parks. Quiver river has a scout area were Klondike has primitive camping available. If you waant to tell us your route I might be able to recomend some other parks in the region.

http://www.saintcharlescounty.org/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=1694

http://www.mostateparks.com/cuivre.htm

YIS

Doug Buth

Hi Doug,

Just saw your post. I''m on the way home and I''m checking my email right now at the Sullivan, MO public library. I took Interstate Route (IR) 70 West from Dayton to Indianapolis, and then IR 55 South to IR 44 West from St. Louis to Oklahoma City. I stayed at Meramec State Park on the way out in Missouri. The park was great and the price was quite reasonable ($9.00 per night). I got a great wooded campsite since I arrived on a Monday night, and there was hardly anyone in the park.

On Wednesday evening on the return trip, I decided to stop at Bennett Spring State Park located about 12 miles West of Lebanon, MO. The campsite was OK, but the park was a bit more crowded that evening, and unfortunately, the campsite I was given was pretty well trashed from previous campers. Before I left, I cleaned it up (my scouts and scoutmaster would be proud!).

Thanks for all your help, guys. Missouri is a beautiful state.