Help with getting together a trip...

Our troop wants to plan a trip this summer that is something that most might not get to do. Maybe something out to the Grand Canyon or something else spectacular. Anyway, I need some suggestions. We're probably looking for a 4 day trip and something that's not terribly expensive but right up the boys alley. Any suggestions?

Where yeh at, LocustFork? And do your adults have any special skills/expertise?

Adventure expenses really come in only two major forms: transportation and guides. If you can avoid airfare and if you can go self-guided, that keeps costs down to gear, food, and incidentals... not much more than it would cost the parents to keep 'em around the house!

Beavah

Yep, I'm in Locust Fork, AL.

We have put on a summer camp for our boys the last 2 summers at a state park not far from our homes (about 45 minutes). We're going to a Winter Blast put on by council this December. I know that the boys will be bored with the summer camp that we've put on before and the older ones aren't really excited about going to summer camp. We thought maybe we could do something a little different, like take a trip that the boys haven't done. Just don't know what and the boys can't really think outside of going and playing paintball. I was looking at giving them a couple of options and then maybe they'd start thinking on their own or at least realize that we have more options besides our backyards, so to speak.

Let me suggest Maine High Adventure Base should your Scouts be interested in a canoeing adventure. Consider mid to late July as the ideal time for the North Woods...

However, I would not recommend a trek in the Grand Canyon during summer. The best season is mid October. But, if Arizona is on your radar, then maybe consider the General Crook trail along the Mogollon Rim starting at Show Low, picking up the Arizona trail heading north to Walnut Canyon and Flagstaff. From Flagstaff you can continue on the AzT to the South Rim. The section from Flag to the Rim is fairly dry, and water will be a problem, more so in the summer.....

IMHO - four days would be too little time to spend on a trip to the Grand Canyon. We're looking at several options for 2009. The Grand Canyon and Washington D.C. being among those mentioned. Planning for a minimum of 7 days though. Might be a few more even. Also working with a budget that will be several hundred per person.

Check with Troop 97 they went out west last year. Would be able to give you some good advise on trip planning.

If you're going to limit yourself to four days I'd suggest something closer to home. Trips where you're always in a rush don't make for much fun.

Say hello to Miki, Larry and the gang.

Your neighbor two towns up the road.

Check out Camp Wakpominee in the Adirondack Mountains.

They have 50 milers in some very nice country. Fly into Albany NY. Our Mountains are about twice as large as yours are.

I've been to Alabama. It was pretty, hot, and the people were very respectful. Nice place. But I can see how boys need a change once in awhile.

Wakpominee will let you split the Troop. Some kids H.A. some boys traditional camp. The guides are BSA, so you will keep your money "within the family". One adult is required for H.A. treks the other being the Voyageur. The other adults could stay with the younger Scouts for a conventional camp experience.

FT Ticonderoga is about 20 miles away, it and the surrounding area look pretty much the same as when Gen. Knox took the cannon to Boston. Ft. William Henry has had a small town grow up around it but still neat to see.

Saratoga the turning piont of the Revolution is about 20 miles away

go to wakpominee.org

Couple of other options for your older boys: Florida Sea Base and Pamlico Sea Base (in NC) are both at least regional. Our boys went to Pamlico this summer and had a blast. They also run a traditional camp (Bonner) for the younger guys who aren't ready for high adventure and it, too, got rave reviews.

Our troop did a trip to Yellowstone three years ago in lieu of traditional summer camp. For us it that was 2 day drive (airfare was prohibitive). The people who went had a good time but two of the major criticisms I heard were a) that they were constantly exhausted (not enough time scheduled to just enjoy themselves/be kids, and up til 11 or later every night) and b) it was a LOT of driving. They were gone for 10 days, 4-5 of which were on the road. Just something to keep in mind as you plan a trip further afield.

Have you looked at the camps in North Ga? Camp Sidney Dew (NWGA Council), Camp Rainey Mt (NEGA Council) and Robert Woodruff (Atlanta Area) are all pretty close to you and have varied programs with options for more advanced Scouts.. whitewater trips, climbing on real rock, trail rides, etc.. Several of the troops from our area (South GA) make the trip up each year. I have heard good things from the leaders on the various camps. don't forget you are also real close to the Smokies.. We are headed there next month even though it is 8 hours of driving.. just to get up in the mountains and do a little lite hiking.

Thanks for all the suggestions. The older boys are looking for some high adventure and we have a couple (2-3) younger scouts that parents are a little nervous to let them out of sight.

I thought an out west trip would take at least 7 days. How many of you have taken a DC trip? Did the boys like it? I don't know if I'd have anyone interested. What are some points that might interest boys about DC? How long did you stay in DC?

We did :

Wash DC:Did it in a weekend stayed at Scout loop at Greenbelt National Park. Boys had fun but it was a 3 day weekend and the drive was far for just 3 days.

Gettysburg

Stayed at Camp Conewago BSA camp. Did Hershey on the same weekend.

Good time.

Boston:

Stayed at Camp Sayre. Good time, saw and walked around on USS Constitution. Ironsides Museum is great. Boston Aquarium. The Museum of Science is supposed to be great. Freedom Trail. You could easily spend a week there. Battleship cove is about 45 minutes away. Sayre has an indoor pool so's y'all can come in February break if you want to.

All three places have lodging for a minimal charge.

Watch out the folks in Boston talk funnier than y'all do. (just Kidding)

just thought about another thing.. you can always go camp on one of the old Navy ships.. I know they do camping on carrier on Yorktown at Patriots Point in Charleston SC.. And on the Lexington where-ever it is.. Probably have the same thing at the Battleship in Mobile.. Haven't been there in 35+ years, but would bet they do camp on ship for organized groups.