Day hikes in Illinois/iowa

Looking for suggestions for short (2-3 hour) hikes in Rock Island area. I have to travel there for work in a couple of weeks and will have at least one afternoon free (and a couple of evenings). I need somewhere that as a female alone, I will be comfortable, and somewhere I can find from my hotel near the river.

I also would be interested in visiting other scout troops and scouters.

Several years ago I took a den of Webelos on a hike at Black Hawk State Historic Site in Rock Island. It's a nice wooded area and has an interesting museum on site about the Sauk and Fox Indian tribes.

http://www.illinoishistory.gov/hs/black_hawk.htm

Make sure you are done hiking well before dark, though! If secluded areas seem too scary since you will be alone, you could try a more public, but less scenic place. Ben Butterworth Parkway in Moline is a walking/biking path that follows the Mississippi River. Unfortunately, some of the "scenery" is of industrial parks, but other parts of the path go through grassy areas. In nice weather, especially on weekends, this path is very busy.

Check with your hotel for brochures and get recommendations on whether places are safe for a women alone.