Camping - - - - - One night or two?

I've heard the SM declare openly, in public that it is a "boy lead, boy run" troop. Hah!

Tonight, he had the troop and asked them all (not the PLC who already decided on a 2 night campout) "boys, would you like to go camping on Friday night when you will probably have to set up your tent in the dark and maybe use a flashlight, but you'll probbly have to do it yourself since your buddy will be setting up his own gear? Or, would you like to leave out on Saturday morning and set up in the daylight?"

My son raised his hand for 2 nights, 14 raised for 1 night.

I think it now ties in with the "Nation of wimps" thread.

Sheesh!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yah, I agree with FScouter, eh?

Get another dad, and take as many kids as you can manage on Friday night. If the SM can "anti-recruit" nothin' says you can't recruit. Settin' up in the dark, doin' night-hikes, being in the woods on Saturday morning is fun and adventure.

Just make it awesome, so they all talk about it... ;)

Or start encouragin' your son and any like-minded kids to plan separate 2-day weekend adventures... packin', canoein', climbin', bikin', whatever. Open 'em up to his patrol, or to all the boys who want to come.

It might be that yeh have a troop of wimps, but my guess is that you've got a troop of kids that hasn't realized what they're really capable of, because the adults are holdin' 'em back so much.

Beavah

Gonzo,

I would suggest sticking to a patrol members only. Inviting everyone else might be seen as a power play. A patrol members only activity would be much easier to justify to the SM. It has the added benefit of really driving home the concept of Patrol Method over the "whomever wants to come" method. Come to think of it, what I refer to as the "added benefit" is really the primary benefit. Gives the opportunity for one patrol to earn some social capital by camping the extra night, and make them feel special and build a tighter bond with each other.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

no offence meant, but is it possible that the assorted parents are the biggest problem?

For us, it''s different. We don''t have an adult support group, so nobody is involved except the scouts and the SM.

I''d strongly advocate the two nighters. Leave Friday late afternoon, set up camp, cook or eat your sandwiches, campfire, songs, yarns, maybe a nighthunt.

Then you''d still have all Saturday for hiking, rapelling, climbing, etc. and another evening full of songs and stories before you return home by Sunday noontime.

But then, things may be a lot different in my country. No offence meant.

best regards,

Volker

Volker,

In this troop, it is indeed the parents who are the bigger problem. The parents are worried that their son will actually use a flashlight.

The parents are afraid that the boys will put their tent on a fire ant mound or a stick or something.

Hello,

Eric, I''m located in Germany, near Bonn.

Thus, my view on some issues may be a bit different as things scouting seem to be mightily different in my country.

Well, I always thought that the parents would expect their kids to develop a bit of self-reliance and pro-activity because they are not being pampered and learn by doing.

Maybe some parents don''t really understand the concept behind scouting?

best regards,

Volker