Say what you will about Jimmy Carter, but he was one of the nicest men who ever was elected president. The fact Washington DC chewed him up and spit him out tells us more about the flaws in politics than in Mr Carter. He was ineffective because he thought when asked politicians would do the right thing, and not be self-serving. Remember I said he was a nice man, but not exactly as politicaly astute as he could/should have been.

And whatever you think of the Carter administration, and there is plenty to feast on, he has become one of the best ex-presidents we have ever had. If its not actually building houses for Habitat for Humanity, not just being a front man, he is in other countries as an observer for emerging countries elections. He could have taken the speakers tour and garnered millions in fees as other ex-presidents have but he has elected to serve humanity, not himself. The world is a much better place because of Jimmy Carter's deeds after his presidency. I am not sure you can say the same about the rest of our living ex-presidents. Ronald Regan gets a reprieve due to his illness of course.

If I remember correctly, it was under Regan where ecomomic policies were implmented that allowed Bill Clinton to become president, what was his campaign's slogan to itself? Its the Economy Stupid? After George Bush's (number 41) success in Desert Storm could anyone have seen him losing an election to an already scandal scarred candiate? Reganomics lost the election for the elder Bush and allowed a moral weasel in the Whitehouse. If Bill Clinton has a quarter of Carters integrity, Gore would have won in a landslide.

(oh and sorry to get off on a rant here Rooster and I know you said you meant no harm, but dissing Jimmy Carter is one of my hot buttons)

Now, why is it that girls can have an ear pierced but a boy cant?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have several character flaws, but I still consider myself to be a fairly upstanding person. Also, please view this criticism in proportion to the subject matter...You'll be pleased to know that I don't view tattoo recipients as criminals. Seriously, some of my best friends have tattoos. I don't judge them anymore than they judge me for having a few extra pounds. Lastly, in regard to this issue, I truly view servicemen differently...You have every right to be proud of your service. Yet, if you didn't have the tattoo, I'd be just as appreciative.

No problem. Like I said, I like Jimmy...I just don't agree with his politics.

While I like Jimmy as a person...Do you remember what it was like to be an American prior to Reagan's election? Does "Day 432" sound familiar?

Since we're sliding down to politics, I just want to say - I never saw the economic downslide that the media seemed to invent prior to the Reagan/Clinton race. My household was doing just fine. Also, if Reagan's only accomplishment was to end the Cold War, he should be trumpeted as the greatest president of the 20th century.

As to why girls can and boys can't. At the risk of being label a sexist, girls are different than boys. Same reason why they can wear dresses and use makeup. Personally, I like it this way. I hope the day does not come that we're debating why Boy Scouts should or shouldn't be in dresses and makeup. ;-)

With regard to the tattoo thing, that's a non-issue Not true, most states allow parental consent under 18. Im a wrestling coach and routinely see high school kids on other teams with tattoos, its not a figment of my imagination. Look, I dont want to get into a flame war here and it appears that your children have turned out great, but what if they were applying for a job, would you want them to wear their earrings and brandish their tattoos? Lets face it, we are all judged every day by our appearances, verbal skills and a host of other things. If a parent allows their children to go out with their hair uncombed, in dirty or ratty clothing or anything else that might be the fad, right or wrong they are going to be judged. Theyll be judged by their teachers, coaches, employers, pears and anyone else that may have a positive or negative influence on the outcome of their lives, why would any parent want to gamble that their sons math teacher might give poor marks because he didnt think an earring was appropriate in his class? Yeah sure your children turned out fine but thats not the point, you take a chance on the outcome of their lives when you allow them to make decisions that potentionally can negatively impact their futures. a sweeping generalization like yours is pretty mean-spirited. Mean-spirited, negative? Since when did traditional values become mean spirited? I think youre being a bit too dramatic. The only thing that is negative is your defensiveness, I guess I would be too if I had to defend whether my parenting was questioned. Bottom line, IMHO, I think you gambled and got lucky, thats something I wont do with my children.

Now, why is it that girls can have an ear pierced but a boy cant? Are we talking about etiquette and good taste or the stigma associated with the apperance of poor character? Rooster is right, boys are different than girls, and unless they want to pretend they are pirates they should leave such things for the opposite sex.

Wow! I'm 3 for 3 , forgot to mention tattoos. I've got one of an American flag with the New Hampshire state motto on my arm. I've also got a long beard and 2 Harleys. Thank God some of you are not the "morally straight" judges. Do you think I should wear panyhose with my skirt or the kneesocks?

Maybe the wearing of an earing may put some people off - it's easy to judge those that behave or act different from us. I've got a young man, who is just one great guy to know, and who made Eagle a while back before he turned 18. And yes, he wears earring in both ears. But I'll tell you this, when I'm running some tuff whitewater, that's the guy I want in the safety boat watching over me...river running feels so much better and safer having him around...tend to think that when you literally trust your life to another, an earing is no big thing.

Live Free Or Die

One of the best state mottos going

A while back I posted something about times change.

I could have added in the 60's long hair was considered to be anti social and the beatles were to be the cause of the down fall of civilization. Well, the world survived the beatles and when I see them in old clips I wonder, that was long hair?

Then in the mid 90's real short hair came in fashion the kids almost looked evil, until you compared them to kids of the 50's. What can I say, times change

A kid with an earring means nothing to me now, 10 years ago i would have freaked. Now its common. Tattoos are a bit different than hair, since a tattoo is with you for life as opposed to a hair style that can be changed. But I think it best we move to a point where a person is judged by the content of their charactor and not by their appearance. Then again, that might just be a dream

I can see both sides of this issue. I can see how it would hinder Scouting (some parents are leery of sending their kids to camp when they see some counselors with tattoos or body piercings) but at the same time I have known many excellent Scouts who have them.