breakfast tinfoil meals? Ideas needed!

Good morning!

I've got dsome younger scouts going on their first tent camping overnight with us, and I suggested they do one one-pot meal and one tinfoil meal. They went with a one-pot meal for dinner, so we're needing ideas for a breakfast of tinfoil.

(Or, if you have alternate ideas for what makes sense in terms of progression in skill, let me know!)

Thanks!

Anne in Mpls

Two ideas:

(A) Dump the foil pack notion and go with "omelets in a bag." Easy to do, one pot, no clean-up.

(B) Mountain man breakfast in foil packs. First, brown some sausage in the pack. Open and add potatoes. Cook for "a bit." Open and add eggs and cheese. Cook for "a bit longer."

Here's a link to a site with a couple of foil packet breakfasts (mixed in with some other breakfast ideas). The "Foil Breakfast" and "Trash Breakfast" are both foil options.

http://www.lovetheoutdoors.com/camping/Breakfast_Recipes.htm

You can also do breakfast burritos in a foil packet rather than a plastic bag. For whatever reason my son hates eggs in a bag but he will do them in a foil packet so we've done the burrito route in foil a few times.

Keep in mind that pre-cooking some ingredients is ok, will speed up cooking time.

Thanks for your responses!

The hashbrowns and eggs and sausage sound good - and pretty likely to turn out well (which is of course important for new campers!)

We are cooking by patrols, and since others are planning things like pancakes, I'm wondering what ideas to offer in the sweet/carbo type breakfast category?

Do the cakes/muffins cooked in orange peels turn out pretty dependably? This isn't one I've done.

Or I'm thinking toasting biscuits on dowels while the foil packs are cooking, serving them with jelly/preserves. Thoughts?

Anne in Mpls

Sweet carbos???

MONKEY BREAD!!!!

BISCUITS IN THE DUTCH OVEN, honey on the table!!!

Of the two, I'm more inclined to biscuits at this time of year, monkey bread requires a certain amount of serious preparation and is better lended to the cooler seasons.

Annie, dowels are fine for the twists, but a stick (perhaps w/ bark shaved off) works just fine too and comes for free. Just keep in mind that most boys' tendency with this one is to hold it too close to the fire so the outside is done and the inside is still raw. Patience - and some distance from the flames - are required here to make it a success, though most boys don't seem to mind a little raw dough in the middle (ick). Also they need to make the twists fairly thin.

I never liked the biscuits in an orange peel myself. They tend to taste orange-y to me, not what I want in a biscuit. I've heard (though never tried it) that you can do drop biscuits in foil as well. Might be worth a try anyway.

Cast iron skillet and dutch oven also work well.

Since it's patrol cooking, allow the boys to decide and have the boys cook for themselves - period. First campout or not, give some guidance, have their guide assist, and then stand back.

LOL! Well, as Girl Scouts, we think it'd be pretty lame to let the boys cook for us! ;)

My newest scouts just flew up - they are 9 year olds, so the parameters I set for their patrol were a one pot meal, and a tinfoil meal - they picked which method to use for which meal, and then which recipes and things to complete the meal.

One is sleeping over at my house tonight and has approved the sausage/egg/hashbrown (good thing! she's the picky one!), and looks like if there's interest, they'll pick a muffin to bake in oranges or the biscuit thing (oh yes! honey! yup!!)

Our two older patrols are completely free to choose from whatever methods they think will/might work - I throw em a challenge of choosing to incorporate foods from a list of "10 healthiest foods for women" which goes towards patrol competition for the weekend. (cf our dutch oven sweet potato pie I wrote on here about a while back!)

We're also hoping to do some trout fishing - cook those up easily in foil packs with butter. Not *counting* on the trout, just an extra treat if things pan out!

Blue skies!

Anne in Mpls (only my mommy calls me Annie :)

Try fruit. Core apples. Peel them if you like. Butter, raisins, and brown sugar in the middle. Wrap them in foil and wait til they start to get soft.

We've also cooked bananas over the fire. Best to use a stick through them because they get soft and squishy.

You could also take pre-made pancakes and use them like a burrito, filling with whatever you like, such as sliced apples with a little cinnamon and sugar, bacon or sausage and eggs with cheese, etc.

AnneinMpls,

Sorry, I guess I'm the one with egg on MY face, no pun intended.

I assumed Boy Scouts, not 9 year old girls (Brownies?)

Otherwise, I hope you find helpful suggestions here and have a great trip!

Gonzo

1 dutch oven for both meals.

You have to pot for the one pot dinner.

Use the dutch oven for breakfast burritos. Cook the bacon in either the pot or on the lid (flipped up side down and used as a skillet). Cook the sausage in the pot first, drain the grease, add eggs, then cheese. Use the lid to warm the wraps, then chow down.

Bon Apetit

I've also seen eggs cooked in an orange peel.

I've seen eggs cooked in an onion. (also hamburger/meatloaf)

Cut a large onion in half, scoop out the center and place right in the coals.

How about Bacon and Eggs in a Paper Bag.

or

Foil Pan Breakfast

Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil - Double and butter. Form into a pan shape.

Beat 6 eggs (as if scrambling)

Slice sausage links or use sausage patties crumbled (can substitute bacon, etc)

Small onion, diced

5 potatoes, sliced thin

Salt and Pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients into the aluminum foil pan. Close foil over ingredients, making sure it is sealed tightly.

Place on coals and turn frequently.

Anne,

I'm sorry about that! I saw "AnneinMpls" and I must have reversed the e/i because I could have sworn it said "Annie."

Have fun with the girls - so glad to hear they're getting a great outdoor experience as girl scouts!

This is not a tin foil meal suggestion but has been a hit for over 35 years in my book. Tradionally on Sunday breakfast many troops just get something quick so they can get cleaned up and ready to go. Well nowadays this one is easier than when I was a girl. We celebrate Sunday Mornings with a Jungle Breakfast. Get indivuial cereal or cereal bars, peice of fruit, juice box, and maybe even a muffin or something like that. Then the adults or the oldest patrol hide the food. We make sure everything is in ziplock sandwich bags. DO NOT put out the night before or you will have some unwanted guests.Its like a old fashioned egg hunt except everyone is looking for their breakfast, no one eats till everything is found. When everything has been found sit down to the table with milk from the gallon and all is good.My girls are older now and still remember the fun of looking for their breakfast.

When my younger son was in Webelos, we tried the egg in an orange peel breakfast. No one (including the leaders) liked it. It had a burnt orange taste to it! Maybe someone else has had luck with it, but my guys voted to never repeat that breakfast.

They loved the biscuits on a stick, but needed reminders to stretch the biscuit really thin around the stick. We wrapped tinfoil around the top part of the stick, so the biscuit would come off easier. All of the boys came back for seconds on the biscuits.

Have fun!