Everyone wash his own dishes and a pot?

Guess I better read my Scoutmaster handbook again, because I don't remember anything about the patrols having each member wash his own dishes plus a pot or two to speed up the cleaning process. I'm assuming this is referring to car camping type trips and not backpacking trips.

It's interesting though, that one of our Scouts on our recent campout asked about that very thing? He thought it would make cleanup go faster if everyone did it, not just the guys that were on the duty roster.

Your thoughts? Does anyone here have patrols in which everyone cleans his own dishes after meals?

I've seen this in a few units.

It's much more common in troops that do more backpacking, or Venture patrols that have done a long backpack like Philmont. They take the backpacking techniques and make them part of the regular campout routine.

It is very painless and efficient, provided you do some good coaching/checking on the young guys to make sure they actually do it. But that's the same if the young guys are on the duty roster, eh?

If your scouts want to try it, I don't see any reason why you'd want to veto it as an adult. Fact is, it seems like more of a patrol method (everyone workin' together) than assigning a "chore" to a couple of guys.

Beavah

In my troop the person (or people) assigned to clean-up on the duty roster are responsible for preparing the water/buckets for washing, and washing all troop/patrol equipment. Individuals are responsible for washing there own personal gear.

I like the idea of each person pitching in with the patrol's cook gear. The person assigned to KP should make sure water is heating, set up the wash stations and drying area, and then be responsible for making sure gear is washed, and washed correctly.

There are Scouts in my son's troop that are great washers, and then there are others that regularly do an inadequate job, and need to be watched & guided. Most of the Scouts are notorious for not cleaning the dutch ovens well - or waiting until the contents have dried solid.