Don't bring firewood when you camp

Ah Gern me buddy, you are so practical. Have ye no romance? Have ye no soul? ;)

Seriously, I love the smell of woodsmoke on my clothes. I love the sense of anticipation as you wait and see if you can do it with one match. I love the soft flickering, the elusive aura of mystery. I love the comradeship that arises, unbidden, from the depths of our souls as we gaze into the dying embers. I love the visceral connection with countless generations of my forebears.

Oh - Amen, brother. I love the smell of woodsmoke on my clothes and hair. A couple weeks ago I helped with a special need LFL event. Made a small campfire to make s'mores for the kids. I was SO bummed when I had to take a bath for work, and wash the smell out of my hair.

I cant imagine a camping trip without a campfire. Even backcountry sites usually have fire rings. On our camping trip for May we even had a fire building competition and let the patrols race. Ghost stories by a gas stove just does capture the spirit to me.

If you cant bring wood with you because of insects I can see that, cut firewood after you get there. We always have our roped off woodcutting area.

Campfires are ceremonial. Stoves are for cooking. If you're cold, put on a sweater.

Some campfires are ceremonial. Some are for cooking. Some are for warmth.

All are enjoyable. I for one will always have a campfire when I am camping (regulations permitting).

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

We have been in a drought in the Rockies for the past 6 years. Fire bans start in May, go through the first snow in October. State wide. Everyone pretty much gets used to not having campfires except in developed campsites or violates the law.

My son and I did a back country trip last weekend. Hiked into the national forest following game trails up an unnamed stream. The first campsite we passed about a half mile in, had a giant fire ring, overflowing with broken beer bottles, ashes and spent shotgun shells, really a shame. Another mile in, we passed another campsite with a smaller fire ring. No trash, but recently used.

Another mile of bushwacking we came upon another campsite with a fire ring filled with moss and a lone pull top lid from a can of beans. I have no idea how long it would take moss to grow in a fire ring, but I got to believe many many years. But the pull top was one of those safety types, so only a few years old at most. I grabbed the poptop and put it in my pack.

Yet another mile in and 500 feet higher, we came across the prettiest of all the campsites. A flat clearing with a stream flowing through it, a downed tree crossing the stream just inviting someone to sit on it and watch the brookies. No campfire ring (I was shocked). No sign a human even entered that clearing before. Elk tracks in the mud, some rather large fresh bear scat and a noisy hawk soaring overhead. Never in a million years would I think about building a fire ring there. Didn't even cross my mind. The ambiance of the stream, the hawk, wind in the trees was enough for us. Needless to say, we practice low impact camping and the next morning, the only sign we left was some slightly bent grass where our tent once stood. I hope to return to that spot someday, and still find no fire ring.

There are still good campsites out there, you just got to push pass the ones where people think campfires, firearms and alcohol are a necessary to enjoy the forest.

Ah, backpacking in the Rockies. Truly, God's Country. I do miss it.

I don't deny the ugliness left by thoughtless, self centered campers. As an LNT trainer myself, I stress low impact interactions with the outdoors. However, I also teach that there IS a time an a place for campfire rings. Not on every outing certainly. Woodsmoke may not be an essential ingredient of every campout, but I do believe it is an essential ingredient in the magic of Scouting. :)

Trev,

Did I mention that our trek started from our back yard? So it was MY country for a couple hundred yards before entering God's country. One of the benefits of living adjacent to the forest.

Actually, had there been a fire ring in our treasured site, we probably would have had a small campfire that night. Wet spring this year and so far, no fire ban. But we would have packed out our ash pile the next morning.

I routinely pick up litter from campsites and trails we pass and haul it out, but refuse to remove ashes and campfire trash others routinely leave. I figure if they get tired of camping in their own rubbish, perhaps they will quit camping entirely. But I can only hope.

Of those who must have campfires on campouts, how many of you clean out the fire pits and take it with you?

Actually, I have a confession to make. I routinely violate LNT. For 40 years, I have been leaving a Lincoln cent in each and evey one of my campfires. It's been a small investment, but the date will be gleefully appreciated by future archeologists! ;)

Sure there's a time and place for campfires ! Don't like the smell of smoke? Is your heart into this or are you going through the motions? Smoke is great ! And even BP and Beard and Seton encouraged small fires only as needed.. It's all good sense. Campfires and smoke are practical and spiritual things. I am impressed about the observation about fire vocalized by the boy mentioned in the first post. It is true and to the heart.

This "techy" version of the outdoors life and all of the LNT "extremism" I am seeing now threatens the very act of going outdoors.. Balance is key here folks. 1st it's LNT - then is :"reduce your carbon footprint".. Next it's "Stay in your vinyl plasti-house watching a screen unless the government says you can come out"..