Things to do in Santa Fe

Greeting Scouters,

Our troop is taking a high-adventure trek to the Pecos Wilderness in the Sangre-de-Cristo Mountains this summer. We are staying a day in Santa Fe to do some sight seeing and get acclimated to some higher elevations before we take off on our trek.

Does anybody have some good ideas as to some things we can take our boys to see while we are there?

-AD(This message has been edited by AntelopeDud)

In town, the Palace of the Governors is the oldest continuously used public building in the United States, dating to 1610 (if I recall correctly). Packsaddle is right about Bandelier National Monument. It is great and ranks with Mesa verde and Canyon de Chelly as a must-see window into our prehistoric past. Adjecent to Bandelier is the "secret" city of Los Alamos, where the atomic bomb was developed in WWII. Close to Los Alamos is the huge ruin of Tsankawi, also operated by Bandelier. Also, the pueblo ruin of Puye is owned and operated by the Santa Clara, about 1.5 hrs north of Santa Fe. East of town, don't miss Pecos pueblo. Near Pecos is the site of the Battle of Glorieta Pass where the pesky Johnny-Rebs were defeated in the Civil War. Wish I was going with you!

AntelopeDud, have a good time. Have you considered looking through Santa Fe's official tourism website?

http://www.santafe.org/

For the surrounding area try:

http://www.newmexiconorth.com/home.html

Also, did you arrange your trip through South Plains Council? If so, beware while at the base camp at Camp Tres Ritos! The hummingbirds tend to mistake the fleur-de-lis on the official scout hat for real flowers. :)

No, seriously!

For others wondering what I'm talking about, SPC offers backpacking high adventure trips in the Pecos Wilderness.

http://southplainscouncil.org/CampTresRitos.htm

90-95 miles east northeast of Santa Fe on I-25 is Fort Union (exit 366 at Watrous, 8 miles on NM 161.)

For anyone with any level of interest in history, it's a good stop over. The narratives on the self guided walking tour are exceptionally well done, and at times are down right funny. Whoever was in charge of that project had a right fair sense of humor and knew folks dinna wanna be bored with just the facts.

Kevin in Norman, America

• 2 weeks later...

>>Our troop is taking a high-adventure trek to the Pecos Wilderness in the Sangre-de-Cristo Mountains this summer. We are staying a day in Santa Fe to do some sight seeing and get acclimated to some higher elevations before we take off on our trek.