We are planning a trip in May to Stone Mountain and Six Flags in Georgia. Has anyone ever camped at the Stone Mountain campground? If so, do you have any suggestions on the best campsite locations - it is a very large campground.

Stone Mountain is in my backyard but we haven't camped there in years! There used to be 3 great primitive sites for groups but I think they have closed them all. I've never camped in the campground area before.

There are some features at the park that are particularly appealing for scouts that are propbably not in the official brochure. A local troop maintains an orienteering course near the nature trail so if any of your scouts need this for FC, there's that. There is also a trail around the mountain (Cherokee Trail) that can take care of the 5-mile hike. This trail leaves the "walk-up" trail about 1/2 way up and then goes off the mountain and loops all the way around back to the walk-up trail (I think it is in the 5-6 mile range if you don't go all the way up and then back down).

gwd,

You won't find this on the Stone Mountain Park web page, but there are 2 youth group camping areas on the backside of the mountain. Our Pack is camping there in a couple of weeks. It is a little more secluded than the Family Camp Grounds. Cost is $6/person per night. You need a minimum of 15 people in your group to book. Call 1-800-401-2407 to book. If you get the recording, leave a message and they will call you back. These areas are labeled YG-2A and YG-2B, I think. Each camp holds around 60 campers.

The Cherokee Trail runs around the mountain. It is maintained by a group that sponsors and Pack and Troop in our district. Their web page is http://www.cherokeetrail-ga.org/(This message has been edited by BrentAllen)