What was your easy meal back when

Back before Ramian and such, what were the items the scoutmaster rolled his eyes at?

I remember a lotta mac-n-cheeze, mystery meet wieners and canned peaches in heavy syrup. JiffyPop over a campfire is a real trick!

When the adults cooked it usually was chilli and bug juice.

The only camping weekend I ever went on as a scout my entire and I do mean entire food supply was a package of hot dogs and two cans of baked beans. Hot dogs will never spoil too many preservatives and are fully cooked anyhow and my pocketknife was up to opening a can of beans. Plus I had a grand mess kit fresh from the army surplus store. This was back in the stone age we literally burned rocks for fuel and had a grand snipe hunt in the woods along the beach after dark. I mean to tell you some of those older scouts almost got one in their burlap bag we could tell because of how loud they were shouting about it.

I guess my old scoutmaster didn't approve of Pop Tarts. Pogey Bait was not allowed, unless the scout brought enough for everyone. Whatever snacks were discovered, they were immediately shared with all. Pretty much ends moms (and dads) stuffing backpacks with junk.

If we happened to be passing a Fish & Chip Shop. It always seemed a shame not to check it out.

Canned Spaghetti or pasta in tomato type sauce was always big.

Baked Beans were a staple especially for breakfast.

We do manage a few weekend hikes eating only Kendal Mint Cake. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kendal.

For a while we got into TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein) That stuff was just nasty!!

Cornish Pasties which always ended up smashed into bite sized pieces were a good stand by.

Bovril Cubes made with hot water and chunks of crusty bread was and still is wonderful. In fact anytime I hear of anyone going home I have them bring me back a few jars.

http://www.unilever.co.uk/ourbrands/foods/bovril.asp

That and Rose's Lemon & Lime Marmalade.

Boy this thread is making me hungry!

Of course being a great cheese lover all to often we had a Plowman's Lunch (Minus the ale of course!!) Some really good Stilton or a big chunk of Wensleydale.

I never acquired a taste for peanut butter, but bread and Marmite was a good stand by when the cheese was gone.

Ea.

Well ya joggled my mind, D/M stew, VanDCamps bakedbeans, peanutbutter on stale Sunbeam or Wonder bread, Don't remember any of that fondly.

I don't remember kids bringing extra food/snaks, do remember more than one campout where there was not anywhere near enough food, patrol leader thought all patrol food was his to eat as he pleased.

I have to go with the canned Dinty Moore Beef Stew also.

One other thing we used was the sliced turkey and gravy in the boil in bags served over rice or mashed potatoes.

They came frozen and we used them to keep other stuff cold.

Easy to cook and not much clean up.

These were great on a cold day.

My son has tried these and likes them but the stores around here stopped carrying them a few months back.

For some reason I can't fathom, I have very little memory of eating during scout campouts. I remember that we would sometimes have cornish game hens for dinner, no idea what with. I remember bacon and eggs for breakfast. Sausage and ash pancakes. Yes ash pancakes. It seems that the fire would always shift and the skillet would drop and a cloud of ash would cover the pancakes. There are times when soaking your pancakes in syrup is a very good idea.

SWScouter

My easy meal is 2 eggs, scrambled in a in a zip-lock freezer bag, dropped into boiling water for about 15 minutes. You can add cheese, onions, chopped peppers, pre-cooked sausage or pre-cooked bacon to the bag BEFORE you drop it into the boiling water.

That way every Scout can have his eggs cooked the way he wants them.

Then, when everyone is finished with their eggs, you have a nice pot full of clean, hot water.

My easy meal is 2 eggs, scrambled in a in a zip-lock freezer bag, dropped into boiling water for about 15 minutes. You can add cheese, onions, chopped peppers, pre-cooked sausage or pre-cooked bacon to the bag BEFORE you drop it into the boiling water.

That way every Scout can have his eggs cooked the way he wants them.

Then, when everyone is finished with their eggs, you have a nice pot full of clean, hot water, to do cleaning of plates, untensels, etc.(This message has been edited by ustbeeowl)

My best bud and I would connect over our college vacations. We went up to my favorite campsite late one friday afternoon intending to camp there friday and then hiking out the AT some miles to a rock climbing site and then back for sat evening. Trout fishing before we head home sunday. Our menues:

Fri dinner: Burger king.

Sat morn: eggs and sausage and bread and jam and oj.

Sat lunch: bread and sliced ham and left over oj.

Sat dinner: Dinty Moore and fruit cocktale

Sun morn: left overs. Trout fishing in the stream (rainbow !). Take the trout home...

Sun lunch: Same Burger King (don't mess with tradition)

Now the sad part. I had been to this campground a dozen times before. We drove in to the park and went round and round. Couldn't find the road down into the valley to the campsite. I finally gave in and went to the ranger station to ask. Was my memory so faulty? No, it was just that in the intervening two years since I had been there,the state had damed the stream, flooded the valley, and created a lake. So we camped elsewhere, fished in the lake. And ate dinty moore.

Ah, youth..

When I was a young member of the Viking patrol, my PL, John made a pot of his "campfire stew" for Saturday night supper at EACH outing. It consisted of browned hamburger, water, and canned vegetable soup. It was terrible. It could be made in one pot however. Often though, we made tin foil dinners with stew beef, potatoes, carrots, and onions all drenched in butter. I made pigs-in-a-blanket once with crescent rolls and some red-snappy hot dogs in a reflector oven. Has anyone seen reflector ovens anymore? I looked at BSA supply, but none. Another favorite, for cold nights, was cook up hot italian sausage links and slice up, saute some green peppers and onions, and add them all to no.10 tin can of baked beans. Serve with bread and butter. We did lots of one-pot cooking, to be creative and of course, easy cleanup.

I remember SPAM and eggs for just about every breakfast, Dinty Moore stew, lots of tinfoil dinners, cans and cans of pork and beans and we even tried twist on a stick. As I recall that didn't work out so well.

One of my first campouts, our leaders brought a couple of cases of C-rations and then spent much of the evening collecting the cigarette packets (I was in Royal Rangers and smoking was really frowned upon.) It was my first experience with C-rats and they seemed good at the time, I recall that I loved the pound cake and several of us tried to scam extras.

The easy meal has always been beef jerky or summer sausage and hard cheese. Pogey bait was not quite outlawed, but if you were caught with it, it became Outpost communal property and shared among all the rangers.

Now with our Pack, it's usually spaghetti, cold cereal, hamburgers and hotdogs, bags of chips and s'mores. Pogey bait shows up frequently as do sodas and sports drinks. Personally, I prefer water, but we usually have a jug of lemonade or tea available as well. Keep it simple, make it fun.

John

We're going this weekend (big summercamp honors project weekend, last year 600 there on Sat). We'll have 10 scouts (4 brand new ones)and 5-7 scouters. The boys set the menu at tonights meeting.

Fri. snack - Hotdogs, cookies

Sat. breakfast - Green eggs and ham, milk and OJ.

lunch - provided by the camp, usually stew, P&J sandwiche

cookies ,again, and bug juice.

dinner - Chili, cornbread, a dutch oven potato concoction,

cherry cobbler

bedtime snack - green jello mixed with hot H2O in the Nalgenes

for the drink (HEY, IT'S ST. PATTIES DAY) and I

don't remember the rest.

Sun. breakfast - Oatmeal, cereal and bananas.

Being Good Turn Weekend we'll be troop cooking teaching the newbies how to use the equipment. Next month I think we'll do a cooking campout, patrols of course.