Hi all

With todays technology, even many of the $40 boots are up to the task of most hiking trails. My experience is bad socks are usually the cause of most foot problems like blisters. What ever boot you buy, get good hiking socks along and liners to wear underneath the socks. Most brands intended for hiking will work fine; just make sure they don't have any cotton in the material. Moisture is the main cause of blisters and cotton holds the moisture to your skin.

I agree REI is an excellent place to look for boots because the sales folks know how to fit them to your feet. But I live in the Oklahoma City area where the nearest REI is five hours away. So look for a reputable store with a staff that knows how to fit "hiking" boots. But also remember there a lot of stores that carry good boots and you might run into a good deal. A friend of mine once walked into a Base Pro Shop and found them selling their Vasque Sundowners for half price. If you find a boot you would like to try on and you can't find a salesman, a good quick test is wear the boots with socks similar to your hiking socks and stand on the top end of a steep incline. This is simulating the most stressful part of the hike to your feet, which is hiking down a steep hill. You should be able to comfortably wiggle your toes without your foot sliding into the toe of your boot.

Good luck and have fun. I always enjoy looking for new hiking boots.

Barry

I will have to jump aboard and recomend the Vasque boots. I bought my pair in April '06 to wear at Philmont in July/August. tried on many pairs while wearing liner socks and hiking socks,...tromped around the store and up and down the stairs for 10-15 minutes,...made sure I could make "fists" with my toes,..got a pair that fit GREAT! Wore those same boots from April till we left July 30 to go to Philmont. Hiked 70 miles at Philmont rotating scoks daily,..had no trouble with my feet...No blisters,..not one. Spend the bucks on GOOD socks and Vasque boots, your daughter will thank you. Oh, I bought my boots and socks at a store called Sherpers. They have a store in Hales Corners and Oconomwoc WI. They have a Scout night in the spring when the discounts are to be had as well as factory reps with deals on gear,..plus the clerks KNOW their merchandise!

After having my 2 daughters who went to Switzerland this past summer let me tell you. Good Boots and Socks are Very Important but for my daughters who are typical American girls, when getting off the mountain at the end of the day. They were looking for flip flops to wear. To my horror and disbelief when I went to the airport to pick them up in and see them in formal Class A uniforms with flip flops on. When I asked Why? They just said less problems at the security areas and more comfortable for the long flights.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to everyone who provided input. After many hours of trying on boots and even climbing furniture in the stores, my daughter settled on THE pair of boots.

REI was really great for helping her find what she needed. They were the only ones that suggested inserts to keep her foot from slipping around and the only ones, who actually measured her feet (both feet even). The sales person even told my daughter not to worry about the manager that kept coming by and asking how they were doing, after closing time. Sales person said she would rather stay and try to find the right fit.

No other store had any sales people that had a clue about fit. Some even thought she was looney for climbing on bench and standing on edge to see if her foot slid (obviously they didnt' have a slant board or anywhere to test them). Yes, it did look a bit comical to see this petite female climbing up and down on benches, stomping around and trying to slide and twist her feet. But you all are the reason, that she was determined to really test them. She did listen to the advice.

She got inserts and "toungue depressors" from REI and used them with Timberland boots from Bass Pro. She tried the Vasque that many of you recommended, and although the low tops fit her feet, she couldn't find a pair of Vasque over the ankle boots that fit her feet and ankles.

The Montrail Torre is another GREAT boot. Very comfortable and extremely durable shoe. The break in time for my pair was extremely minimal. I would buy them again over Vasque and others due to my satisfaction.

-AD(This message has been edited by AntelopeDud)

Vasque is one of the best boot makers BUT their boots are not the best for everyone. Different boot manufacturers use different "patterns" for their boots so their boot will fit better on certain types of feet. You may have a Lowa or Salomon or Montrail or Merrill foot. Find out before you buy. Likewise, REI is a great store but they don't carry every brand. Take your time and look around.

I've had a Lowa for years, was like made for my foot. The new Lowa didn't fit the same. Got a Montrail for Philmont instead. Still not as good a fit as my old Lowa but acceptable. Gonna try some Superfeet in them to see if it helps.