My daughter has just been selected to "volunteer" for six weeks at the Girl Scouts World Center "Our Chalet" next summer. Our Chalet is located in the Swiss Alps and she will be leading various day and overnight hikes, as well as other "volunteer" duties. She needs to purchase hiking boots (as well as break them in and get in hiking shape). Any suggestions on boots-- brands, things to consider, etc would be appreciated. She is a college student on a limited budget, but knows the value of good shoes. She also will need to take weight into consideration, since she will have to contend her luggage on airlines, trains and buses before she gets where she is going.

Also if there is anyone familiar with the Atlanta or Augusta, Georgia areas or Tallahassee, FL area that can suggest places to go try boots on, we would really appreciate the guidance.

I can personally recommend Vasque Sundowners. Been a long time since I bought my pair so I don't know what they sell for today. Do you have an REI store in Atlanta? They have good staffers that can help you and probably have more experience than I.

Sorry for incomplete information in previous post. I went to the REI web-site and they show 3 stores in the Atlanta area. Check out their web-site for locations and some product info. Sounds like a great opportunity for your daughter.

For a good pair of boots on a budget, check out the Hi Tec line - available at Sports Mart/Sports Authority, and at many hiking stores. I've never had a problem breaking them in (they've worked well for me in less than 10 minutes of wear) if the fit is proper.

Calico

Although they are not hiking boots, for around the campsite after hiking all day I wear Merrell Jungle Mocs. They have a nice soft interior, great gripping tread, and require NO laces. I actually have 2 pair (rotate for freshness) that I wear daily and have disposed of my sneakers. Sounds like your daughter has the opportunity of a life-time! I wish her safe travels. Oh- I almost forgot--the most important thing to remember with boots is to spare no expense for comfort. Make sure she buys good socks (like Smartwool or Thorlos) and as she hikes her feet muscles will grow so avoid tight boots. And I always like to change into clean socks at the midpoint break of a hike. Keep those tootsies dry! And after a day on the trail pull out the insole to allow for airing out.(This message has been edited by local1400)

Agree wholeheartedly with Baden (REI is a great place to get boots, strongly recommend a trip to Atlanta to get her those boots) and with local1400 (do not be pennywise and pound foolish: Get the very best footwear for her you can possibly afford).

Twenty years ago, I bought field boots in Germany for my professional life as a Soldier. I've only recently retired those boots. My then fiancee` thought I was nuts to be buying $200 boots. Nahh.

On a recent long backback trip, one of our adults was nursing his new blisters. He previously was boasting how great a deal he got on his hiking boots from a discount house. I asked him if he would gladly pay $75 to have those blisters magically removed. He admitted he should have spent the extra money and got a pair of high quality boots.

My son uses Rocky brand hiking boots. They have been in the creek, hiking, climbing, cave crawling, all that jazz, but honestly, they look a little worn, but when you look inside them, they look new. He's had them for two years at least, but he'll never go with another brand. He adores them. THey are available at most outfitters. We got ours at the factory outlet in Ohio. For our money, they've been a godsend.

Hi, REI in Atlanta is the best bet. Alternatively you can see what's available at Bass Pro Shops. Personally, I would go to REI and not even consider the options elsewhere. Good boots that fit well are worth the price and you won't be well-served by going cheap unless you get lucky. I have Vasque, Raichle, and Asolo. All fit well and wear well. I've had the Vasque since 1971 and many hundreds of miles. There's no substitute for trying them on and getting the fit right.

Take a look at the REI website for pointers on boot choice and breaking them in, etc. Then go have fun!

The three most important things about boots are fit, fit and fit.

Everybody's foot is different, not only in size, but in shape. A wonderful boot for me may be horrible for someone else.

When you go to REI, ask to speak to the most experienced boot guy(or gal) and have your daughter try on all sorts of boots. When you get the right one, you'll know.

The other thing about REI is that they have a 100% guarantee policy. I bought a pair of Vasque boots earlier this year, used them a few times ( including a week in Yosemite ) and they gave me minor blisters each time. I returned them, REI gave me full credit ( include a 20% discount coupon I had used for the original purchase ) and I got a pair of Montrail boots, which have worked out famously.

So you really have nothing to lose by going to REI.

ALSO - If you call their corporate number, you can register your troop and get a 10% discount. Sometimes, if you go directly to the store manager and show him your scout card, he/she may give you the 10% on the spot. Beware the regular clerks though, most don't know anything about the scout ( group ) discount.

I recently went to REI to get a pair of the Vasque Sundowner. I really wanted the full-grain leather because it's the easiest to waterproof--using sno-seal. Don't trust the gortex liner as your waterproofing. It may work great when the boots are new but I wonder what will happen as they age and the liner becomes worn.

Alas, I had trouble getting a decent fit with the Vasque boots. Turns out I needed a wide fit with them. I could have ordered the wide fit at an additional shipping cost but ended up buying Montrail Torre GTX. They have a nubuck leather upper which will require additional care and maintenance to keep it waterproofed--can always use sno-seal when they're older and I don't care about appearance anymore. However, they had an excellent fit for my feet and fit is the most important feature of a boot.

The REI salesperson was a lot of help fitting me with the right boot.(This message has been edited by MarkS)

Yes- the fit is more important than price or anything else.

Since your daughter is unlikely to wear anything like the 13W boats I put on my feet, here is a review of some womens shoes:

http://outside.away.com/outside/gear/buyers-guide-2006/indexes/women.html

She is going to love the Alps. I spent some time at Kanderstag in the 80s and had a blast. I even went through OA Ordeal there- that was an experience.

Ed