Suggestion for camping near DC

Just noticed there are several posts (albeit older) for camping near DC. I thought I'd post a suggestion that I know about which may or not be good for some of you.

There is a KOA campground in Harper's Ferry, WV which is famous for the Civil War John Brown's Raid. The campground was great last time I was there. From there, you can travel a short time to the Metro and take the subway into DC (at the small fee of $5/day/ride all day) thus eliminating the driving into and around the city. I can't remember just now how far the Metro is, but there are alot of commuters that live near here, so it can't be too far.

Also, there is a great Jellystone near Antietam battlefield in Williamsport, MD. Again, a drive to the Metro and into the city.

Both of these are near great Civil War sites as well (Harper's Ferry, Antietam, Gettysburg, and more). They're also about 2 hours from Gettysburg or less, and the C&O canal is there as well as whitewater rafting, tubing, hiking is superb, and the Antietam battlefield has a scout trail that if you finish it, patches are available. It uses orienteering, so be very good at it before you try this trail.

You could really pack some adventure into this trip, and I thought I'd just put this idea out there for anyone considering next year's trip to our nations' capital.

• 1 month later...

Update:

I am a Scout Leader, hiker and work for the transit system.

KOA in Harpers Ferry has a good rep. And Harpers Ferry is a National Park, and a neat historic place to visit. Ap Trail crosses the Potomac River there, the C&O Canal trail goes down to Washington DC (about 60 trail miles),there is an American Hosteling International Hostel nearby, too, in Sandy Hook MD. With a little planning, many "hiker-biker" campsites along the canal are available for use

I Highly Recommend "184 Miles of Adventure - Hikers Guide to the C&O Canal" published by the Baltimore Area Council BSA and available from any local National Park Store or the local BSA Councils.

It is AT LEAST an hour+quarter drive, from HF, down US340 to I270 to Shady Grove Metro station. More in 'peak' hours.

Alternative adventure: Take MARC Rail (commuter train) from HF all the way to Union Station, Washington DC. But don't be late for the last train back! Tickets for this, check MARC Rail website? or buy your tickets on the train. No Checks!

Unfortunately, the Metro is not designed for the tourist, although it is by far the best way to access our nation's capitol. Parking at SG Metro is getting more limited everyday, as it is at any Metro Station of late. Park all day $4.00, must have a special card ("Smartcard" ...see the website) to exit the garage.

Check out the Metro website. Order your "daily" pass by mail, if you can, $6.50 will get you an all day pass, good after 9:30am, get on and off as often as you like, wherever you like, up to close time (midnite at least). Be warned:::: Metro has recently announced that due to its financial woes(!), all rates may increase this summer.

There are four public transit services in the area, all fairly easy to use with alittle research. There are lots of easy to read (I think) maps available to offload from various websites:

Metro is the "subway" and the transit bus system between MD and DC and VA.

Ride On is the transit bus system only within Montgomery County,MD (adj to DC)

MARC Rail is the MAryland Rail Corporation, commuter trains between WVA, DC, Baltimore.

THE BUS is the Frederick County bus sytem, north of Montgomery County.

There are other bus transit systems, connected but further afield, but I won't confuse you any more!

Make sure every Scout has a timepiece and phone numbers to call when they get lost!

Have fun, stay safe!

YiS