Skiing in the Southeast

Has anyone taken your troop skiing in the Southeast? Scouts want to do a snow skiing/snow boarding trip in January. Have found a lot of websites in North Carolina, Tennessee, and West Virginia, but know nothing about them. Was hoping some of you out there had real experience you could share. By no means exclusive, but would like to know if you have information on resorts that have a program designed with Scouts in mind, and also group plans that include some kind of group lodging, ski rentals and lessons, even perhaps a meal plan, etc.

Thanks in advance.

We've done ski trips at Winterplace. They do all the things you mention.

Some councils do their own council ski days there. You can see Buckskin council (http://www.buckskin.org/Programs/Forms/Ski%20Sign%20up%20Information.pdf) and Occoneechee Council (http://www.doubleknot.com/openrosters/DocDownload.asp?orgkey=382&id=17552), and I'm sure there are more.

Our Scouts liked it enough that they voted to put it on the troop calendar again.

Oak Tree

OK, the subject almost sounds oxymoronic doesn't it? In the Southeast I've been to:

1. Cataloochee in NC. High on top of the mountain, nice slopes, often artificial snow. I like the completely open sky feeling up there. Got a concussion on a big patch of ice up there one time though.

2. Wolf Laurel also in NC. Nice place to learn skiing. They have a program there that is designed to take scouts through their 'snow sports' merit badge but there is a fee for the lesson. There have been major renovations to the lodge since my last visit.

3. Beech Mountain in NC. This is a really nice place with good slopes and a great lodge. I met some people from Michigan who thought it was better than what they had up there (real mountains too). Get there early or hit the slopes late for some night skiing followed by a cold weather campout. Yum.

4. Scaly Mountain, barely in NC, you can almost hit GA with a rock. Very small, lately nothing but snow tubes, good for cubs. Almost nothing but artificial snow. If it snows at home, you can do as well on any local hill at home.

5. Sugar Mountain, you pass it on the way to Beech Mountain, but it is a good slope. I like the intermediate and advanced slopes but I can't take the advanced ones on Beech (I know my limit). Been a few years since I was there.

6. Sky Valley in GA. This is a very small slope with almost nothing but artificial snow. If you yell really loudly, someone up at Scaly Mountain might hear you. They are often closed - too warm. It is convenient to Atlanta and if nearly everyone needs to learn for the first time it is OK. After that, go somewhere else because Sky Valley will be boring.

If you can spring for the price, fly to Portland and drive up onto Mt. Hood. Stay at Timberline and after a day of skiing, rest your bones in the hot tub surrounded by snow and exceedingly beautiful vistas. Have a drink at one of my favorite bars of all time and then eat a gourmet meal at one of my favorite restaurants, in front of the big fireplace and enjoying the transition from snow-blindness to a starry, starry night. Then crash in your room and get ready for another day, maybe a climb to the summit.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Boys and adults had a GREAT time! North Carolina was fortunate to get some snow that past few weeks and Wolf Ridge was blowing snow every night with freezing temps, so the skiing was OK (at least by East Coast standards). From what I've heard, our guys are most assuredly going to have skiing on the calendar again.

Hey, I'm so glad the guys had a good time. I knew they would, and hopefully they have a merit badge as well. I would have joined you but I spent Saturday morning at the hospital getting rabies shots for my daughter. I asked how they felt, she said, "Ruff!"

Now for the collar and tag! ;)

Hey Pack, Wow "ruff" time for your daughter. Hope she'll be OK.

No merit badges on this trip. We did cover safety, hypothermia, and skiing etiquette rules, etc. during scout meetings leading up to the trip. But, the boys were not at all interested in setting aside time on the trip to cover other points of the snow sports merit badge. They just wanted to shred some snow and have a good time. And...they did!

I do have a question about the merit badge: requirement #5 says to complete all of the requirement for ONE of the following and then lists a bunch of options a, b, c, etc. Does that mean that if a Scout does for instance option d under Downhill Skiing (name the major ski organizations in the US), that he will have completed that requirement?

She's fine, volunteers at an animal shelter so she was bitten a few days back. This isn't the first time so it was only the rabies booster shot this time (but expensive...$400, Wow!). I still can't figure how she manages to get her hind foot right up behind her ear. :)

As I understand it, you are correct about the MB - someone correct us if this is wrong. You can do it in a day. Wolf Laurel's program is tailored to give exactly the necessary instruction. I'm really glad everyone had a good time. Maybe I'll take another crack at it this weekend.