A scout is trustworthy?

Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water... ;)

This is a great conversation and I agree with jmcquillan. Looking at the bigger picture, just how much of the outside world (boy's behavior outside of Scouts) should we hold the boys accountable to within the troop? IMHO (that's for you OGE), every boy should meet the standard of the Scout Oath, no matter the place or time.

I have a story too. Several years ago, before the current set of adults/boys oversaw our troop, a boy in our troop was "jumped" by three boys as he was coming home from school. He was not seriously injured (physically), but needless to say it was upsetting to him. Two of these three boys were Scouts in the same troop. The parents handled the issue and the troop leadership was never brought into the picture. While this is all water under the bridge, if I could go back in time, I would have pressed for some form of discipline from the troop. In fact, I believe a second event (regardless of place and time) would warrant an expulsion from the troop. At some point, we should think about the boys who are behaving correctly and let the ill-behaved ones go. I say this out of two concerns - 1) the expected standards established for Scouts, and 2) the safety for the well behaved Scouts.

This makes me think about the conversation that took place a few months ago between two Webelos scouts. One was saying you are only a scout when in uniform and the other said you are ALWAYS a scout. At 10 years old this argument took place and I guess we never outgrow it.

My side ---- you are ALWAYS a scout, not just when in uniform.

At first I thought, geez, the kid in the post above has been punished, leave it alone. But then I started thinking about how Scouting should be applied to all of life. And a quote I've seen many times, including in BSA literature "Character is what you do when no one is looking."

Rooster, your comment on how much we should hold our scouts accountable for events outside of scouting has been one I have been thinking a lot about since this thread began. As I said in an early post here, I would certainly talk to the scout privately, but I would not have taken it further. But as I reflect on the discussions, I still wonder where to draw the line. The cheating example I believe warrants a private discussion, but not a suspension. Your fighting example is different, because of the physical harm and because in a boy-led organization, we have to be careful of allowing someone we know to be violent to be present on activities where adults are not always closely supervising the group. It's the area in between that continues to baffle me. We can only hope that as situations arise, we will make the right judgments. I guess that's why they pay us the big bucks to be scout leaders. :)

I thought the definition of Scout Spirit was living the Scout Oath and Scout Law "in your daily life". To me, that means your entire daily life, not just when participating in Scout-related activities.

I've used that leverage more than once when dealing with my son the Scout. Ancecdotal examples abound, but here's one: Mom tells son to take a shower before bed and after a day of vigorous activity that has left his skin feeling like the back side of a Post-it note. Son protests that he can take one in the morning. Dad, overhearing, simply says: "A Scout is clean; a Scout is obedient". Next sound you hear is water running in the bathroom...absolutely fabulous!

KoreaScouter,

I'm not sure my boys would have responded as quickly as the one in your example (although I'd like to think so)... This story serves to remind us, BSA is abouting building character, not campfires. I understand the purpose of badge requirements and I'm not suggesting that they be changed. But give me a kid who knows, believes in, and follows the Scout Law and I'll show you a true Eagle.