OT - Kind of, How to clean old Canvas backpack?

OK Scouters, I think I need some help.

On eBay, I happened upon an old official BSA frame pack. (full size) It is an aluminum frame with Canvas bag. The pack was ill cared for and seems to just have been taken out of storage and shipped off as is. There are cobwebs, dirt, dust, a cocoon attached to the side, etc. Like it has been storing in a place with lots of spiders and etc. The actual material seems in good shape, but sorely needs a good cleaning and some tidying up.

What is the best way to clean old Canvas? Can this be washed? It doesn't have washing care instructions anywhere.

Any one else have these old packs? A thousand-and-one thanks in advance.

:)

Jerry

I wouldn't recommend chucking the backpack in the washing machine - this is a "by hand" job.

First step would be to brush off all the obvious dirt and debris - a whisk broom is perfect for this. Take the pack off the frame (so you can wipe down the frame too)and gently brush the dirt away from the canvas (gently so as not to grind the dirt into the canvas). If you need to, turn the pack inside out to brush out the inside too. If you have stains or stubborn dirt patches to remove, water and a soft bristled brush is best - you want a soft bristled brush (like those used for washing cars) so you don't grind the dirt in or damage the canvas. You can use the stiffer brushed whisk broom as long as you promise to be gentle with it - we want to brush the canvas, not scrub it. What you're trying to do here is "float" the dirt off the canvas then brush it off. Just spray the bag with water and brush where needed. There really shouldn't be a need for soap but if you must, use a mild soap - one that you wouldn't mind keeping you hands in for a while. This means no laundry soap (unless you use Borateem or some other borax based soap) and most dishwashing liquids. Ivory dishwashing soap is good to use - but use it sparingly. An alternative is a solution of vinegar and water - I'd say about a 50/50 solution. Once you have done your brushing, give it a good rinsing, then hang it out to dry (since the backpack is small enough, you can wring it out a little). Here's the key to drying though - it's best done outside on a nice, sunny day - and you'll want to attach the pack back onto the frame BEFORE you start to dry it. Canvas can shrink as it dries (even if it's gotten wet many times), it is, after all, cotton, and has a tendency to stretch and shrink, just like cotton clothing. While usually not that noticeable, you'll certainly know its shrunk "just enough" to make it difficult to put back on the frame after drying (if you forget to do this and can't get the pack on the frame, just soak it down again, then put it back on the frame (you may have to work at it but its better and easier to "stretch" canvas when its wet/damp/moist), then let dry again).

Same applies to canvas tents.

Hope this helps.

CalicoPenn

Thank you VERY much CalicoPenn!!

That is the kind of detailed, useful reply I was hoping for. :)

I know there are better materials for camping these days. (And I am sure some of you are asking, "Jerry! Why are you using CANVAS in 2006?") I an not certain of that myself. Maybe I just wanted something different. I am 35, and I don't think that any canvas packs were still on the market when I was in scouting, as I seem to recall only using nylon or other material.

I also happened upon another ebay auction that had year 2000 reproductions of the old style canvas dufflebag (zipper on the side), and the Yucca backpack. They are in excellent, if not new, condition.

These are the only items I have ever had that are made of canvas. Was I wrong to get canvas?

Does anyone else use canvas backpacks on a regular basis? Any tips on helping them stay good for years of abuse and use?

Thanks again!!

Jerry

Have used Woolite to wash my canvas pack a couple of times and it did a good job of getting a stain out. Other than that Calico's great post covered everything else.

Still using a canvas backpack that I bought in late 60's as a scout. With that said, don't think you were wrong in getting a canvas pack. I have always kept my pack indoors. I would not recommend storing it in a garage or damp basement. Since I keep mine semi packed with camping stuff I either store it between trips flat on floor of closet or under my bed. That way there is no stress on the packs mounting points.

If your pack has zippers on the pockets would recommend lubricating them with graphite or wax. If leather straps and buckles would use leather conditioner to keep them soft and from drying out.

Hope this helps you.

ljn - Woolite is a great product for this type of work - thanks for the reminder!

My first backpack was an old BSA Yucca external frame backpack - and it was well used by the time I got it. After my first internal frame backpack used on all of my college trips, I'll never go back to an external frame again, but the old BSA pack certainly served it's purpose (it was eventually removed from it's frame for easier packing in cars and trailers, and I rarely missed the frame anyways).

I sleep under canvas tents pretty much every other weekend from May through October these days - I participate in pre-1840's fur trading rendezvous in period correct dress and camp style, and that means canvas tents, flys, bags, floors, etc. You learn alot about cleaning canvas and keeping it dry, and treating for mildew that is inevitable no matter how careful you are.

CalicoPenn

ljn, Thanks for your Woolite recommendation. I will add that to Calico's great cleaning guide. My frame pack is very dirty, so I'll see what I can do with it this weekend. Maybe I'll throw in some before and after pics to show you the difference.

I feel a bit more reassured in my decision for getting canvas. I took my Yucca with me tonight and got lots of ooohs and aaaahs from the other adult leaders. Since it is a reproduction, it is new - and looks nice. But more importantly, I am beginning to see why it was used for such a long time. Its broad usefulness, and durability is very apparent. Some of the other adults related stories about their old canvas packs almost with a sense of reflecting with nostalgia upon the memories of a long lost pet dog or old friend. It was kind of weird, but I understand it.

Calico, you participate in 1840's fur trading rendezvous? That HAS to be exciting. How fun! I bet the experiences there give you a perspective regular scouts never appreciate. I love period reenactments and all the stuff that goes into that. I am a total history buff. For a while, I was a History major at NIU before I switched to music composition.

Anyway, thanks to you both a thousand times over. I love this forum and can see this is just a fantastic place to come for wisdom, advice, helps, encouragement and learning experiences.

I hope I can be of some help around here too. But until I have some more time and experiences with leadership under my belt, I'll probably not have much to add. Unless someone needs some OT help with Music Theory or Music History! :p

Jerry

Jerry,

I love doing the Rendezvous - I'm still learning new things all the time, and the people you meet are fabulous, talented, great story tellers, excellent craftsmen and musicians.

The last Rendezvous I went to had a local Boy Scout troop helping out collecting the garbage generated during public hours. We offered to teach them how to throw hawks (tomahawks) but their leader had to say no because it probably would have been a violation of G2SS (let alone a violation of Totin Chip - and he's probably right). We had a fire starting contest and only two of the Scouts tried it with us. They did pretty well but I think they were a bit intimidated by some of us older folks who could use flint and steel and get a fire going in under thirty seconds - the look on some of the other Scouts faces when we wrapped a sparked char-cloth in a wad of tinder, picked it up and blew on it until we had a flaming mass of stuff in our hands was something to see.

At least we never heard from the Scouts one of the more common questions we get from the public: "You sleep in that??" I did hear overhear a comment from one younger Scout who thought the rendezvous was "like a camporee for grown-ups" - I hadn't thought of it that way, but yeah, he's right - there are competitions through the day for both men and women. Hawk and Knife Throwing are done at almost every rondy (both men and women), Archery and Black Powder shooting contests are common. Fire Building, Trap Tosses (like a water balloon toss, but with a set leg-hold trap (usually a number 0 or 1 so it won't hurt much if it closes on your hand or nose - definitely a G2SS no-no), cast iron frying pan toss (for women) Apple Pie contests (both solid (traditional) pie and liquid pie (an alcohol concoction), and occassionally, a Blacksmithing Contest.

If you have one near your neck of the woods, I recommend visiting.

CalicoPenn

• 1 year later...

Same kind of question as Jerry, but a different pack. I have an old #573 haversack that I just received from E-bay. Pack doesn't have any real dirt, but it has a lot of stains (oil? and rust), and somewhat of a mildew smell. How can I get rid of these things best?