Cave Exploration in Southeast

ASM915 - Wow, thanks for the information. If I remember correctly back a LONG time ago as a teenager I went to Laurel Caverns with my science club. Lived in Maryland at the time so not such a long trip as we would have now.

I have thought about the Troop taking an extended trip somewhere next summer (other than summer camp) if the boys are interested and if we have enough fundraising and adult support. Currently, we certainly have very interested boys, but sadly not much interest in fundraising and poor participation from other parents.

Definately something to throw into the pot when our annual planning weekend comes up in August.

gwd- I lived in Western NC for a couple of years and wanted to check out Linville Caverns on the Blue Ridge Parkway, but didn't get the time so I can't say what it's like, other than it is there. Oooops, that's a run-on sentence, but oh well. I loved the Mountains around Asheville where there is so much opportunity so close to you.

I was just up on Mt. Pisgah and the parkway this weekend. Perfect weather, it was absolutely lovely! A lot fallen trees from the recent high winds though, trails were a bit difficult here and there.

As far as Linville Caverns, it is a real disappointment compared to the others mentioned so far...small cave and short tour. I would pass it by and go on to Linville Gorge for some good backpacking or take kayaks to the North Fork Catawba for a quick river run. There are many better alternatives.

Hey Pack. Pisgah? We haven't been there this year, but we were there last year. Our Troop generally goes there about every other year. Beautiful place. My older son's very first Boy Scout trip was to Pisgah in February. Icecicles hanging from the tree branches. Brrrr. He loved it. I don't know why, but for some reason we always seem to go there in the winter.