Forget The Beanie-Weenies, Upgrade Your Campfire Cuisine

OGE,

Yes, but did it have all the chemicals, preservatives and fillers that MickeyD's uses? ;)

This spring, my son convinced his patrol to try a simple recipe dad uses at home. I cut up potatoes and onions into bite size chunks with some salt and pepper and put it inthe bottom on a cast iron skillet we have. Then I cut up smoked sausage and/or brats into bite size chunks and put on top. Put the lid on the skillet and put in the oven at about 400 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour and you have a delicious dinner. His patrol did it with a dutch oven over coals. 10 to 15 minutes of prep and sit around the patrol site chit chatting for an hour and they were set. Every single patrol plus the adults were coming over to check it out.

Smoked sausage is perfect for campouts. We made a meal at last weekend's campout that had the boys drooling. Now they've put it on their list for next time:

Smoked sausage (1 or 2 depending on the size) cut up into bite sized pieces. Brown in skillet or dutch oven with chopped onion. Add 2 cans beef broth (we prefer Campbells, condensed), 1 cup slow cooking rice (NOT minute rice), 1 bag frozen corn, 1 bag frozen broccoli, 1 bag frozen peppers. Seasonings we use are a bit of salt, pepper, garlic powder and sometimes red pepper flakes.

Let it all simmer for about 1/2 hour.

Wonderful one-pot meal that serves 6.

Another favorite: cooked pineapple. Place whole pineapple on embers (either campfire or charcoal). Rotate pineapple every few minutes for about 1/2 hour. When outside of pineapple is blackened, remove and slice. Juicy and hot. Yummy! And, of course, no mess except for the knife used to slice it.

"Layer Cake Dinner"

A good layer of coals, or a small even fire

A Dutch oven or deep cast iron skillet and lid

Spread out i/2 pound bacon in the bottom of the skillet. Next,

Spread out i/2 inch deep hamburg. Next,

Spread out 3 medium onions, peeled, sliced 1/4 inch thick. Next,

Spread out 3 largish potatoes, washed, "eyed", (leave skin on if washed well), sliced 1/4 inch thick. Next,

Spread out 3 largish carrots, washed, "ended", sliced 1/4 inch thick.

Next,

Put Cover on it. Put on heat. Wait 30 to 40 minutes. Keep steam coming out. It is HARD to burn the contents, but it can be done if you try.

Serve with big spoon. S&P to taste.

Notes: Don't forget to "soap" the outside of the skillet to facilitate cleanup. Camp stove can be used...The contents will shrink slightly, so the top can be put on a FULL skillet.

If you are of Italian extraction, add a tomato layer and oregano

(get a deeper skillet)

YiS