Eagle Scout service projects

One great ideal that doesn't give the scout options, sort of, do it or else.

A better way would be to offer choices, these are mine....

- The traditional Eagle Scout service project

OR

- Working at a scout camp (seen many fine scouts working their hearts out at camp in an active leadership role. As I recall, the orginal intent of the Eagle Scout service project was to be a vehicle to foster leadership development (I have great respect for those scouts who have spent a long hot summer building scouts instead of park benches...don't make sense to reward them with additional work that's not needed).

Many camp jobs have a very minimal leadership component. I would be very hesitent to open it up to any camp job, if such was even considered.

Coordinating big projects is a key aspect of the Eagle project. You need minimal coordination skills for camp work since most of it is provided.

Brad

I'm not sure if this is national policy or not, but I seem to recall hearing something that one could not do his Eagle project for the BSA. Again, maybe it was a local thing.

I think that there is, however, a large leadership component in almost all areas of summer camp. You need to counsel badges, have a thorough knowledge of what you counsel, and be able to teach. Such abilities sound like a leadership activity to me.

It is my understanding that the Eagle Project is intended to make the Scouts community better and scout related projects do not qualify.

The idea of the Service Project is to have the scout conceive, develop and do a project that betters his community. Working in a situation that has predeternmined parameters, such as job descriptions doesnt qualify unless the scout writes the job description.

I see the intent of the service project is to have the scout take an idea and make it happen and experience all the work that it involves.

Absolutely, OGE, the Eagle project planning is as important as the actual execution. The documentation for the Eagle Project will show the involvement of the Eagle candidate in this planning process. Both parts must be successful. The Eagle Project is the one project that cannot benefit Scouting. Where as projects for Star and Life requirements can include Scouting as recepients.

I have little to add to the previous replies to the original post other than to agree. There are different purposes being served. One might also point out that working on staff is also paid summer employment.

I was always under the impression that an Eagle project had to be something outside the BSA. Just read where a boy got his Eagle by starting a new Scout troop as his project. This was in the Knoxville News Sentinel.

I have had the honor of serving on my District's Eagle Board of Review several times over the years and I serve my troop as Eagle Project Advisor. The Eagle Scout Leadership project usually does not benefit Scouting in it's scope. Several such projects have been rejected by the board in my area.

However, the determination if an Eagle Scout Leadership Project is proper or not, is in the hands of the District or Council Eagle Board.

I have an Eagle Scout Leadership Service Project Workbook in my hand form 18-927A. On page 2 under "The Requirement" it states The project should benefit an organization other than the BSA. Notice it says "should" and not cannot.

It would seem to me that organizing a new troop to deliver the scouting program to boys who would not otherwise get access to it IS a service to the community, not scouting. Clearly, undertaking a project to build patrol boxes for one's own troop is the kind of project the rule wants to exclude.

eisely,

You make a good point. However, I do see the point of the Eagle Service Project not being done for the BSA. There are a variety of things the BSA camps in my area could use & would make a great Eagle Service Project. But then what would the OA do & what about the other Scouts who need service hours for rank? These are the people who should be doing the service projects at the BSA owned properties.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

With regard to the quote from the handbook, and how some see it as, "Notice it says "should" and not cannot", I've always been of the opinion that the words "should not" means "will not", and SM's should encourage their Eagle candidates to seek projects that will benefit those in the great wide world around them outside of Scouting. The purpose being that the Scout is more exposed to that world around him, and the unattended needs out there, and that the world out there is also exposed to Scouting, and all that boys learn in the Scouting community, skills, leadership, concern for community, citizenship, et cetera.

That, I believe, is the true measure of the Eagle. It's not just the talents he possesses, nor the leadership he can demonstrate, nor the skills he has to solve problems. It's all of that, PLUS...the demonstrated ability, desire, and capability to work on an unattended need in his community, thus lending his talents and skills to those in need. A valuable lesson all by itself, no matter how big or small the need he attends to.

Needs within the Scouting community itself, IMHO, are those to which all Scouts and Scouters should be lending their hands in cheerful service, (not only the OA, but they should lead the way), assuring that their own little part of the world is just what they want and need, and well maintained.