Sea Base Alternatives?

Looks like the Sea Scouts want to go to Sea Base next year.

The Sea Base web site shows lots of open dates.

Has anyone used local charters in place of what Sea Base offers?

We don't want to leave the USA!

We are looking into coral reef sailing.

Price is a big thing!!

Eamonn.

I don't have any alternatives for you, but we did Coral Reef Sailing at Seabase in March and had a blast. One thing to know, is that most of the boats & captains for the Coral Reef sailing are "independant contractors". They are boat owners that like working with scouts and sailing their boats, but they are not camp staff and do not necessarily have a scout background (Our captain did not have a scout background). I've heard that your experience can really vary from captain to captain, and the ammenities vary from boat to boat. Most are 40-44 sailboats. Weather and sailing conditions will effect your experience. We hit the end of lobster season, so it was very difficult to fish (so we didn't snag lobster pods). A great time, but I understand how cost can be an issue. While there was plenty of opportunities for life learning, there is very little opportunity for advancement.

It was a great experience and Captain Ron rocks.

A few years ago a troop in my district couldn't get the itenerary they wanted from Seabase, so they built their own trip. They found some outfitters that catered to scout groups and built a similar experience, for a little less money. I've lost contact with the old SM, or I'd get you a name.

Back when nearly all of the troop was too young to qualify for Sea Base, I took them to MarineLab, a marine educational program with no age limits. MarineLab was started by Ian Koblick, one of the Jaques Cousteau generation but Ian decided to focus on education. Google his name and follow the links.

We spent the week doing experiments and exploring all the ecosystems around the Keys using mask and snorkel. Some older boys who had been to Sea Base said they had more fun at MarineLab (there were other classes there as well...coed). The teachers and guides are abundantly qualified and (this being related to my field of study) I thought they did a magnificent job of depicting the entire ecosystem and instilling respect and appreciation in the boys.

For more info:

http://www.mrdf.org/mlhome.html