Crews Headed Home from Northern Tier

Our SM and 3 ASM's took 2 crews from our troop. I got a phone call at 10:30 this morning from my 13 year old Star Scout son. They had just crossed the US/Canadian border headed home from Northern Tier. My first and most important question to him was, "would you go again?" His answer was yes. Everything after that was important, but merely detail. He found that he could carry more weight than he ever thought possible. He saw a moose on the first day. Even at a distance, they are unbelievably large. He didn't see a bear...thankfully, he said. They swam, fished and explored. It rained pretty hard two nights and they had some strong head winds a couple of days. He wished he had remembered to get his sunglasses out of his duffle before hitting the water. They would have been helpful. The bugs and sun were not bad and he never used any repellent or sunscreen. He slept comfortably and never got cold at night. He said everyone did a pretty good job of pulling their weight and everyone got along pretty well with tempers only flairing mildly once in a while. The SM was carrying a canoe on a portage and lost his footing and hurt a knee. He couldn't carry much weight after that. Hopefully, it isn't anything too serious. They caught enough fish to supplement their trail food a few times. He decided the trail food was better than the ham and mac and cheese they had for dinner when they returned to the canoe base yesterday. He did enjoy the shower, sauna and sleeping in the cabin. They really enjoyed their interpreter. They have a 600 mile drive ahead of them today to get to a motel in Ames, Iowa and then another 600 mile drive tomorrow to get home to Oklahoma City. Dad was VERY happy to hear his voice and learn that it was a good experience. I'm eager to pick him up tomorrow and give him a big hug......in front of God and everyone!!! Next phone call, I'll have to remember to ask him if there is anything special he wants waiting when he gets home. I already have a gallon of Red Diamond Sweet Tea waiting in the fridge and a couple of cans of Pringles in the pantry.

Oh yeah, he atually remembered to buy his mom a gift at the trading post. Whew!

Sounds like next time they go, your going to have to go with them?

A pal of mine just sent me some wonderful photos of NT.

Looks great but next year I hope we can do something that isn't powered by me!!

I'm hoping we can do Sea Base.

Glad everyone is safe and had a good time.

Eamonn.

E,

I would love to share those experiences with my son. Being an insulin dependent diabetic keeps me from it though. BSA wouldn't allow me to go even if I tried and it is just too risky to get that far back in the wilderness and run into complications. As you know, I did Jambo last year. That wasn't a big deal for me or the council folks because I was in a tent city of 40,000 people with first aid huts in every sub-camp. So things like NT and Philmont are only dreams for me. Sea Base has possibilities. I would think being aboard a ship would be hard work, but nothing like hiking or paddling for hours to lower your blood sugar. You have to pack as light as possible for those and having to carry insulin pump supplies, blood glucose testing equipment, batteries and glucose supplies adds weight, not to mention keeping everything dry. That is why I volunteered to run our new scout program when we had 20 boys cross over this year. At this point, all of their outdoor stuff is car camping which I can handle with no problem. It is just the high adventure stuff I can't share in. :(

Beav, Glad you son had a great time, we just got back from Philmont and we are going to NT next year. A few of the boys will be going for the second time to NT and they are very excited.

I know you couldn't be with him on this trip but your excitement and support for your son is just wonderful and is something he appreciates more than you know. Keep up the great support.

Hey Beav,

I have taken my son along who is insulin dependent, just takes carefull planning and menu planning. We never use NT - prices, rules, and never a chance to do what we want - lead us to a Outfiitter 2 miles from the Canoe base and much cheaper. We have a blast. Not to sound like a DR or anything, but I have allways told my son ( now 21) you manage the diabetes, don't let it manage you!. Good luck - I know it is an everyday battle.

I pray for a cure everyday so my son and wife may life a "normal" life.

Eaglebeader

Eagle,

Thanks. I don't let it manage me. I was diagnosed as diabetic 32 years ago when I was 17. For the most part, I have had it under good control and experienced very few complications. I've always been able to tell when my blood sugar is getting low and been able to take care of it. I've never passed out, required a call to 911 or been hospitalized. With scouts, it is a personal decision....even though BSA wouldn't allow me to do the high adventure stuff. I never miss a monthly campout, but I do excuse myself from some of the activities. As an adult, part of my responsibility is to help provide two deep leadership. If I take ill, that goes to somewhere in a handbasket really quickly. I don't want to stop a trek every 30 minutes or so to check my blood sugar and work on keeping it at a normal level. Also, at 6'2" and about 275, I don't want to put a bunch of 13 and 14 year old boys in the position of having to haul me out of the back country. I'm afraid they would end up pushing me over a cliff and making up a cover story! LOL I have considered doing it on a personal level and/or with commercial guides away from scouts. Then the risk is all mine. The problem is trying to fit personal trips in with everything we have going on with scouting.

I too pray for a cure. I use a Medtronic MiniMed insulin pump. I don't know if your son uses a pump or not. They have come out with a new model that has a blood glucose sensor that will do continueous monitoring so you know what your BG is at any given minute. It has high and low alarms you can set. Now that is the ultimate in tight control. I could certainly see it being a plus for high adventure. What I don't know is how much the sensors cost. They have to be replaced about every three days and the cost could be prohibitive.

Beaver

This past trip that we did made me very aware that I was having a hard time keeping up with the Scouts.

Sure we got to where we wanted to be, but at times I found the going really tough.

The ideal situation would be for a younger adult to lead them or go with them, not an old codger like myself with a very bad back.

Sadly as yet we haven't found this younger leader and it kinda looks like we will have to "Grow" one.

I really do hope you didn't find my posting to be upsetting or in any way rude. Please know that was never my intention.

At the end of the day I like to think we all do what we can to provide the fun, adventure and challenges that keep the Scouts in Scouting. One of the really nice things about Scouting is that there is a job or role for anyone who can spare the time.

Right now I don't feel as if I'm the right person to be looking after young Scouts, they have far too many needs and have parents!! I suppose I could do it? But for the present I'm happier with the older kids.

The time each of us spends serving the Scouts is no more important than the time everyone spends.

At the end of the day we have promised to do our best.

Knowing what our limitations are does help meet this end.

Eamonn.

"I really do hope you didn't find my posting to be upsetting or in any way rude. Please know that was never my intention."

Heavens to Betsy old buddy, no I didn't find it upsetting or rude. Simply explaining why I can't go.

"Knowing what our limitations are does help meet this end."

Actually, I meant to use the phrase that a guy has to know his limitations in my response to Eagle, but it faded from my mind while I was typing my response.

I talked to the little Beav about 12:45. They had just finished eating at a Wendy's in Ottawa, KS and he wanted me to check MapQuest to find out how far they are from home. 297 miles and 4 hours and 23 minutes away. Depending on gas and potty stops, they will be home between 5 and 6. I'm stretching and warming up those arms for a big bear hug.

SR50Beav,

I'm a little put back that you state BSA will not allow you to go to high adventure with your diabetes. Is this true? I would assume that if you were a well managed diabetic, there would be little they could say. Now if its a personal decision, I fully understand.

We will be heading to the NT next Friday. My 13 year old diabetic son will be joining us. He is a pumper (same pump as you in fact) but we are opting to go to Lantis and do injections throughout the week. Would rather not rely on electronic tech in the wilderness. I'll report back here when we return in August. Looking forward to the trip.

Eagle,

Nope, not upset. Just giving you my history with diabetes.

Gern,

You know what, I've never really checked into it and am giving my opinion of what BSA would say. You may be correct, they might not have a problem with it. It is true that it would be my personal decision NOT to do it for the reasons I stated. I do know that Philmont has restrictions based on weight and health and NT does provide height/weight charts for maximum weights. I don't have it in front of me, but it seems like the maximum is a suggested weight not to exceed and not a restriction. Again, as an adult, I personally wouldn't want to put the crew in a position of having to haul me out of the wilderness or having to be taken out by float plane and leave them without me to do my job. I see a boy with diabetes a little differently. As long as he is responsible and in good control and knowledgeable, I wouldn't want to hold him back. I will tell you that my 13 year old son felt that breakfast and lunch were a little light at NT and that portaging 90 lbs food packs over some of the trails was very strenueous. They had a couple of days of high winds on the water with white caps and it was all they could do to control the canoe and make headway. For me, that would be eating at my blood sugar. As great as a pump is and the wonders it does for control under normal daily life, you are doing the right thing by going to injections during the trip. That is what I would do. Have a blast. I hope your trip is every bit as eventful and memorable as my son's was. Please drop us a comment and let us know how he did on the trip.

Good news SR50Beaver.

I just checked my NT medical warning sheets and they only indicate that those with chronic illnesses (heart disease, stroke, etc.) undergo a thorough evaluation by a physician. They do not restrict attendence for medical reasons. Looks like they leave it up to the participant and his doctor.

They do have a specific paragraph on insulin dependent diabetics, pretty much just common sense precautions to take.