My son is a Life Scout and is working on his Eagle project. He is a good kid, always kind, a bit shy, very bright, does very well at school, but does not have strong leadership skills. I was hoping that he would gain his needed leadership skills in scouting. He has enjoyed scouting, particularly summer camp. He has earned about 40 badges either from summer camp or merit badge college. Unfortunately, I don't feel he is getting enough from the troop. The scoutmaster is running a boy led troop. Early this Spring, there were a couple of openings in the senior patrol and three scouts younger than my son and with a lower rank were picked. It was obvious that the senior patrol leader had picked friends, but the scoutmaster (his father), said it was because my son had not shown leadership in the troop. Last week at summer camp, the senior patrol picked two more scouts for senior patrol who were his age, but only one had an equivilent rank. He is the only older scout that is not in senior patrol. Since the senior patrol will most likely not bring in any new members until some turn 18, I don't expect him to get in within the next year. By that time he will have finished his Eagle project and be a Senior and may not continue to be in scouts. I feel that he will never learn any leadership skills with this troop. Is it expected that each scout should pass thru the senior patrol at some point to gain leadership skills? He was allowed to be a patrol leader when he was eleven, and it was so overwhelming for him at that age, that he has not allowed himself to be elected patrol leader since then. How can I help my son at this point?

Eamonn,

Great question. I had made assumptions about what the senior patrol was, but have just checked in our Troop handbook and found the following: The senior patrol is a group of youth that have met established expectations and are dedicated to preserving the ideals and values of Boy Scouting. The senior patrol is expected as older scouts to help and mentor the patrol leaders so that all scouts, no matter what position or rank, are able to achieve the fullest satisfaction from the patrol method and the Boy Scout Program.

In the past, the next oldest scout entered the senior patrol to replace a scout that was leaving. The last two times it has been by the senior patrol leader picking scouts, and then the senior patrol interviewing and selecting scouts.

Just Asking

Thanks.

At the risk of sounding like an old book thumper!!

I can't help but think this was a Tweak that someone added.

It might have seemed like a good idea at the time, but it now seems that even the Tweak has been Tweaked!!

I'm 110% for the Patrol Method.

It isn't rocket science.

Maybe it's misunderstood but it's not rocket science.

Once or twice a year the Troop holds an election. They elect an SPL and their Patrol Leaders.

Then it's up to the Scoutmaster to train these Scouts.

All this other stuff is just add ons that to my mind don't add anything.

I can see and agree that there are times when there is a need for activities more age appropriate for older Scouts.

Some Troops do have a Venture Patrol, but I've always seen this as a way of holding the interest of the older Scouts more than anything to do with leadership.

I know at times I must sound like a record that's stuck. But the real way to ensure that Scouts are understanding leadership is in:

"Train Them, Trust Them, Let Them Lead"

The training has to come from the SM.

Sadly so many of our Scoutmasters are so busy doing other stuff, they forget or just don't have the time to do what after all is their main job. Training the youth leaders.

What you quoted from the Troop Handbook is a very nice sounding set of words.

I just fail to see what good they do?

I'm not sure what your Lad wants to do?

This Senior Patrol thing sounds very much like a "Good old Boys" group made up for a few friends of the SPL.

Maybe he might want to look at taking a leadership course NYLT seems to be a very good course. (I have yet to have any dealings with it!!) Maybe he might want to think about looking at a Venture Crew and running for office there. (Better yet a Sea Scout Ship -Quarterdeck Training is a Sea Scout Advancement requirement -But I'm biased !!)

While at times we can be fooled into thinking that the Scouts who make the most noise, make the best leaders, this isn't always the case!!

I've seen the shy Lad's who tend to think things through do a much better job.

You might want to have a chat with him, let him know how very proud you are of him, give him a gentle nudge and kindly kick in the pants.

Eamonn.

Hello,

Nice response Eamonn...

I just wanted to add a few thoughts.

First, with regard to a Senior Patrol, I have seen mention of Senior Patrols in these forums over the past couple of years. My understanding was that a Senior Patrol was a patrol made up of the SPL, ASPL(s), and possibly Junior ASM(s). We have a Senior Patrol that is made up of the boys holding these offices and they function as their own independent patrol. And every election, this patrol changes dependant on who is elected SPL.

As Eamonn says, just because a Scout is shy doesn't mean he cannot make a good leader. My son has been in this position. He is very soft spoken and not very assertive when it comes to giving direction. Especially because of his being like this, I helped him as he attempted to earn the respect and trust of the other boys; basically to live the Scout Law with humility and a servant's heart. He began by working closely with the younger scouts; helping them with advancements, camp set-up, taking them on fun hikes and other activities. In essence, he acted as a Guide to these Scouts without actually holding that position. He really is looked up to by these Scouts now. At the same time, he became a model Scout in his Patrol, doing his share and more; being helpful, kind, courteous... There were those who tried to take advantage of him, but we found ways to deal with those situations. He is now a Junior ASM in the Troop and has no problem with the other boys. He has their respect and they will listen to him. He has learned the patients of Job in dealing with the boys and I am proud to hear him say to others, "I guess I'm turning out to be just like Dad."

Your son doesn't have to be done with Scouts after his Eagle rank is attained. He can stay on as a Junior ASM and eventually, at 18, become an adult ASM. He could be a great asset to the Troop. Keep encouraging him.