Some things gotta go........

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caught onto this one late, so my thunder has been somewhat stolen; oh well, gotta pay attention I guess.

The number of Scouts who earn each merit badge each year and since the badges were first offered are in a fact sheet you can download from the BSA national web page; sorry I don't have a URL you can hit, but if you visit the page you'll find it.

I like the Trained strip, it shows you who's been trained in a second, and maybe just as important, if it went away, we'd also lose the "Untrainable" parody strip you see from time to time -- everybody needs a laugh now and then, right?

Flag on the uniform? I don't think you'll win the logic battle by arguing it gets dirty. I've had the flag patch on my military uniform (usually in combined or coalition settings), and I can assure you it, as well as the rest of the uniform, gets absolutely trashed doing what I do when I'm wearing it. I'll tell you something though, the ability to glance down at the shoulder and see it there, however soiled, was a real inspiration at times. Here's a couple other data points: The flag hoisted by the NYC firemen at Ground Zero probably got trashed by smoke particles, dust, dirt, etc. Should it have not been flown there? The flag that flew over Ft McHenry in Baltimore during the War of 1812 that inspired Francis Scott Key to write our National Anthem got tore up during that battle (rumor has it the British Navy gun crews were actually aiming for it). You can see how horrendous it was by visiting the Smithsonian in D.C. where it's being restored. Should it have been taken down for fear it might get dirty? Now, I'm not asserting that a Boy Scout soiling his flag patch at a camporee is on the same level as the siege of Ft. McHenry, but the point's the same...

The battle of Fort McHenry makes a great story for a flag retirement. That was one big flag, 30 feet wide by 42 feet long. The stars are two feet across and 15 stripes each 2 feet wide.

Major Armistead, the commander at Fort McHenry, commissioned that this very large flag be made so that "the British would have no trouble seeing it from a distance." Almost like a challenge, "here we are, come get us!" Well, the British came all right and the bombardment went on for 25 hours.

The bombs that "burst in mid air" were these 200 pound monsters that carried a lit fuse. They often exploded before they reached the intended target. The "rockets red glare" was the new British Congreve rockets that arced through the sky on a trail of red flames.

At some point during the night, the bombing stopped. Francis Scott Key, not knowing what really happened, feared that the fort had been destroyed. Actually, the British decided that Baltimore was too costly a prize and ordered a retreat. It wasn't until early morning, "by the dawn's early light" that Key saw that "our flag was still there". And so was inspired our National Anthem.

I believe it was 1947 when the president decreed that the U.S. flag would be flown over Fort McHenry 24 hours a day, as as symbol of perpetual patriotism. So, as far as this American and this Scouter is concerned, the flag stays on the shoulder of every Boy Scout in this country, as a symbol for our youth of our perpetual patriotism.

The following words were spoken by the late Red Skelton on his television program as he related the story of his teacher, Mr. Laswell, who felt his students had come to think of the Pledge of Allegiance as merely something to recite in class each day.

"I've been listening to you boys and girls recite the Pledge of Allegiance all semester and it seems as though it is becoming monotonous to you. If I may, may I recite it and try to explain to you the meaning of each word?"

I -- me, an individual, a committee of one.

Pledge -- dedicate all of my worldly goods to give without self pity.

Allegiance -- my love and my devotion.

To the flag -- our standard, Old Glory, a symbol of freedom. Wherever

she waves, there's respect because your loyalty has given

her a dignity that shouts freedom is everybody's job!

United -- that means that we have all come together.

States -- individual communities that have united into 48 great states.

Forty-eight individual communities with pride and dignity and

purpose; all divided with imaginary boundaries, yet united to

a common purpose, and that's love for country.

And to the republic -- a state in which sovereign power is

invested in representatives chosen by the

people to govern. And government is the people

and it's from the people to the leaders, not from

the leaders to the people.

For which it stands, one nation -- one nation, meaning "so

blessed by God"

Indivisible -- incapable of being divided.

With liberty -- which is freedom -- the right of power to live one's

own life without threats, fear or some sort of

retaliation.

And Justice -- the principle or quality of dealing fairly with others.

For all -- which means, boys and girls, it's as much your

country as it is mine.

• 2 weeks later...

EVERYONE likes to have their contributions, experience and skills recognized - Child or adult, and that is the purpose of many of the patches on the uniform. The "Trained" patch, in particular, is often the first or the only additonal patch many adults wear - although you don't have to wear it.

To someone with quite a few titles in the BSA, and many years of experience, the "trained" patch may seem redundant - but to the newbies, it is a mark that they care enough to take their saturdays and weekends, in addition to meeting times and outings with their troop, to make sure they are giving the boys a good program.

I think that deserves a bigger recognition than a little 1/2" by 2" patch!

On a different "fix the uniform" note -

I'd like to see the cloth "Boy Scouts of America" over the pocket made into an embroidered patch instead. On uniforms that see alot of use, the cloth corners of these get tattered and torn.

And Keep the Flag!