We did a hike in Yosemite in 04 that included Half Dome. We started and eneded at Tuolumne Meadows camped at Upper Fletcher Lake, Merced Lake, then there was a camp at a trail junction between half dome and cloud's rest (We side hiked Half Dome that afternoon), We then climbed over Cloud's Rest and camped at Sunrise Lakes then Cathedral Lake and hiked out to Tuolmne Meadows the next day.(This message has been edited by hikeoholic)

I've done Half Dome six times, going for number 7 this year. Sometimes weekend trips, sometimes as part of a full week trip. I'm very familiar with the Merced River canyon thru Tuolumne Meadows, having hiked it 4-5 different times.

A good basic weekend trip is

Day1: Happy Isles to Little Yosemite, camp overnight

Day2: Day Hike to Half Dome and back

Day3: Hike back out to Happy Isles

You can do the whole thing as a day hike, but its brutal. ( 16 miles rt, 4000+ elevation gain ).

If you are staying overnight, you have to check about getting a wilderness permit, there are quotas in effect. Check out this link for more info, though I'd suggest calling directly...

http://www.nps.gov/yose/wilderness/permits.htm#reserve

There are a variety of ways to include Half Dome as part of a longer trek, which is what we are doing this year.

Day1 - Lyell Canyon

Day2 - Vogelsang

Day3 - Babcock Lake ( recommended )

Day4 - Merced Lake/Echo Canyon

Day5 - Little Yosemite

Day6 - Half Dome and back to Little Yosemite

Day7 - Happy Isles and a HOT SHOWER!

If you or anyone else would like more info, feel free to PM me, I'd be happy to help.